Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting Songs

I am trying to convert songs that I download from itunes a long time ago when it was MPEG-4 Audio File. I have tried converting in iTunes and I get this message. Is there a way to convert it to MP3?

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 9:26 PM

Those are really old files from back when music was in an encoded format and "protected" (as it says). For a while you could pay a supplemental charge and upgrade to non-protected, but that is no longer available. Depending upon how many files are involved you have several options.

1) Burn them to a CD which will then perform as any regular CD would for playing and, err..., ripping. ;-)

2) Subscribe to Apple Music or Match. Availability depending, this will let you re-download them in an unprotected format. Delete the protected format ones first (after backing up) then re-download.

3) Buy them again (actually may not be all that easy since it may just say you have already purchased it).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2021 9:26 PM in response to valtx1313

Those are really old files from back when music was in an encoded format and "protected" (as it says). For a while you could pay a supplemental charge and upgrade to non-protected, but that is no longer available. Depending upon how many files are involved you have several options.

1) Burn them to a CD which will then perform as any regular CD would for playing and, err..., ripping. ;-)

2) Subscribe to Apple Music or Match. Availability depending, this will let you re-download them in an unprotected format. Delete the protected format ones first (after backing up) then re-download.

3) Buy them again (actually may not be all that easy since it may just say you have already purchased it).

Converting Songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.