Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't convert purchased song to mp3 (iTunes 12.8)

Hello all!

I am experiencing problems converting some purchased songs on iTunes into an mp3 format. YES, I have changed "Import Using" to "MP3 Encoder" in General settings. I am subscribed to Apple Music and had added the album A Moment Apart by Odesza about one year ago.

Today I purchased said album. I was able to convert about half of the songs to mp3 format. According to "Song Info" those songs where a mp3 file was created successfully are now a "Purchased AAC audio file". However, the other half of the songs where it wasn't possible to convert to mp3 the "Song Info" still reads "Apple Music AAC audio file".

Can anyone help? Thank you all so so much in advance :) Cheers!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 6:00 PM

Katharina,

Depending how you have cloud syncing set up, some of your purchased files many have been replaced by Apple Music subscription files, which cannot be converted to MP3. In that case, delete the subscription copy and re-download the purchased file, per these steps: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books - Apple Support

Once it is done, make sure it is actually Purchased AAC audio, and then you can convert it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 6:00 PM in response to katharina241

Katharina,

Depending how you have cloud syncing set up, some of your purchased files many have been replaced by Apple Music subscription files, which cannot be converted to MP3. In that case, delete the subscription copy and re-download the purchased file, per these steps: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books - Apple Support

Once it is done, make sure it is actually Purchased AAC audio, and then you can convert it.

Can't convert purchased song to mp3 (iTunes 12.8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.