Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes music can not be converted to MP3

I am trying to convert a song I have purchased on iTunes to a MP3 file and export to a USB. Once I select the song on my Windows PC and select “Convert” then “Create MP3 Version” under “File” an error appears reading “‘Song’ could not be converted because protected files can not be converted to other formats.” I understand this means that the song was not purchased by me but I purchased the song today. I tried songs I purchased and from Apple Music, which I know would not work... I don’t understand why I can’t create a new version as a MP3...

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 4:59 AM

I have a shared account with my family for regular iTunes. We have BOUGHT hundreds of songs separately and have also LEASED songs through Apple Music. I just BOUGHT a song today I already LEASED through Apple Music and tried converting it and it still would no allow a MP3 convert... Is thought it could be a problem with my device not purchasing the content personally but I BOUGHT one to try out and it is still not working

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2020 4:59 AM in response to javaliga

I have a shared account with my family for regular iTunes. We have BOUGHT hundreds of songs separately and have also LEASED songs through Apple Music. I just BOUGHT a song today I already LEASED through Apple Music and tried converting it and it still would no allow a MP3 convert... Is thought it could be a problem with my device not purchasing the content personally but I BOUGHT one to try out and it is still not working

Mar 15, 2020 8:22 PM in response to eschlichting

Was this a song you BOUGHT from the iTunes Store or LEASED with an Apple Music subscription?

An Apple Music subscription allows you unlimited downloads and you can play the songs on any Apple device for as long as you subscribe. However, you cannot convert songs to other formats or burn them to a CD. And once you cancel your subscription all that music goes away.

You can still buy music (with out without an Apple Music subscription) and then you own that music and you can essentially do whatever you want with it for as long as you want.

For more info, see:

Add and download music from Apple Music or buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

iTunes music can not be converted to MP3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.