Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Side Button Will Not Turn On iPhone 11 Pro Max (this seems to have started with iOS 13)

so it appears my new iPhone Side Button will NOT turn on iPhone. It does work properly each and every time when I need to use Apple Pay, Screenshots or use Magnifier with that triple click, and yes even Shutdown.

but 9 out of 10 times i can hold it down for and hour and iPhone wont restart unless i plug it lightning cable in it. the white apple would show up after approx 6 seconds before iOS 13 and always worked.

this is also happening on wife's XS and daughters 11 and 11 Pro.

Anyone else try shutdowns since iOS 13/ 11Pro?

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 11:15 AM

To turn off the iPhone 11 Pro, hold the volume up and side button together until you see the Slide to Power Off screen, not just the side button. You will find this is how to power off the device.

Turn iPhone off

1. To turn iPhone off, do one of following:
    • iPhone X and later: Simultaneously press and hold the side button and either volume button until the sliders appear, then drag the top slider.
    • Other models: Press and hold the side button or Sleep/Wake button (depending on your model), then drag the slider.
    • All models: Go to Settings  > General > Shut Down, then drag the slider.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 11:15 AM in response to JahMush

To turn off the iPhone 11 Pro, hold the volume up and side button together until you see the Slide to Power Off screen, not just the side button. You will find this is how to power off the device.

Turn iPhone off

1. To turn iPhone off, do one of following:
    • iPhone X and later: Simultaneously press and hold the side button and either volume button until the sliders appear, then drag the top slider.
    • Other models: Press and hold the side button or Sleep/Wake button (depending on your model), then drag the slider.
    • All models: Go to Settings  > General > Shut Down, then drag the slider.

Nov 11, 2019 5:39 AM in response to sabarinath.ra

I should have closed this. All of mine have been fixed as of 13.2.... both 11 Pro’s and XS now respond to side button to start each and every time.

Works as it did in the past turning on in about 6-8 seconds of holding it down the white Apple shows on screen.

I do see that since iOS 13 that our phones take a lot longer to shut down now.

You absolutely need to wait longer than before to make sure it’s off as there is no more spinning gear showing its off.

So once I wait till I’m sure it’s off it starts rite up. Definitely was a software issue and others experienced it to on thread at MacRumors forum.

Jan 15, 2020 12:58 PM in response to JahMush

After you shut it off you must wait several minutes before trying to turn it on again, because the shutdown process takes time (as explained in the post marked as Solved).

While not a good plan, you can also force restart the phone:

• Press and quickly release VOLUME UP
  • Press and quickly release VOLUME DOWN
  • Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears.

Side Button Will Not Turn On iPhone 11 Pro Max (this seems to have started with iOS 13)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.