Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple SD Card reader not working in IOS 13

Anybody got a solution to the above? I'm using the iPhone 7 plus

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 7:22 AM

I’ve been calling Apple to get some help on this. None of my card readers work anymore now, even using the Apple Card readers. Being a deer hunter it ****** me off not being able to read my memory cards in the field on phone.

36 replies

Feb 15, 2020 2:34 PM in response to ipod2ipad

I have a similar issue with apple card reader model A1595 firmware version 1.0.2 hardware version 1.0.0

on my iphone SE with 13.3.1,

and iPad air ios 12.4.4

with no issues at all on my macbook pro 13" (early 2011).

Macbook pro shows all videos thumbnails and downloads no problem. How do I get everything to show up on my mobile devices?

iPhone SE shows blank preview thumbnails (annoying) but downloads and plays fine, though only 1 of 5 videos downloaded with a visible thumbnail icon. the other 4 just showed white screen with black bar on bottom.

Interestingly the one with a visible icon showed just a video cam icon

in it, the other 4 had video cam icon and a cloud icon which only showed

when I went to attach the screenshots in a text...

Iphone video during play after downloading showing blank bar as playing at bottom, but video playing fine:

The ipad air had similar issues with thumbnails randomly showing but most not:

and after download some had black bar in thumbnail icon and only one had actual video thumbnail icon:

and blank bar at bottom as it plays (paused as shown but same result whether playing or paused):

Nov 1, 2019 5:43 AM in response to ipod2ipad

Well. Strange things do happen. Last night there was no way of using the reader, I was about to return it. This morning I tried again and all went fine, on both my iPhone 8 and the iPad Pro first generation both on iOS 13.2. I inserted the reader, with a SD car in it, launched Photos and after a short while the "import" button was available. Miracle? Maybe it takes longer than my patience for the button to appear ;-). Still, problem resolved with me!

Nov 11, 2019 5:41 PM in response to ipod2ipad

Never had a problem with SD card and non Apple reader importing to iPad, until today! Ipad Air 2 and just updated to iOS 13.2.2 which has caused a lot of problems with photos I may add, but regarding the SD card, all the photos started to come up, many of which have already been imported but after a short time, it just went back to the all photos screen. This occurred about three times every time I pressed import.

I tested it with another SD card, also with a lot of photos on, thought it would do the same but it actually let me select and import them. I can view the photos on a camera so they are definitely on the card and not had any problems before with the card.

Already rebooted the iPad and that didn’t work.

Went on my first photography workshop and now can’t get the photos uploaded, typical!

Nov 18, 2019 12:25 PM in response to Custard07

It might not be the iOS at all. In my case, I recently had the issue of my SD card reader not working right with my ipad pro 2nd gen. It works fine when i plugged it into my windows PC but on the ipad pro, my photos don't show up and shows me instead '0 files found'. But just before buying another SD card reader, I tried backing up the photos on my PC and then reformatting the card from my DSLR and now it works fine.

Nov 24, 2019 3:49 PM in response to ipod2ipad

I am a hunter as well. I also suspect its the latest IOS.. my iPhone X my iPad all stopped working. All i have left is my mac book which does work and i have not updated it as of yet. i am going to try the files method of getting my trail cam pics but this should be happening. it worked perfectly what is apple doing.. and i love apple

Dec 3, 2019 1:37 PM in response to ipod2ipad

I had the same problem for the longest time. I finally just made progress.

I found if I use an SD Adapter for a Micro SD Card, I get no response on iOS13.2.3, 11pro.

When I inserted a full size SD Card>Photos, the bottom tray has a new icon, far right (import).

It sill doesn't just pop up like it used to, maybe there's a way in Shortcuts?

Hope that helps

Dec 11, 2019 7:38 AM in response to ruoyu yue

I’m having a similar problem importing my photo using a lightning card reader on my XR. Everything worked well and could upload photos using Import button on lower right side of Photos App when launched, until I upgraded to iOS 13. Last night, I upgraded to 13.3 thinking that might help; it did not. I have a brand new Apple Card Reader and an SD card that my MacBook recognizes. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? (Images do not appear in Files App either). Help ... this is a crucial feature for my iPhone needs.

Dec 29, 2019 9:09 AM in response to ipod2ipad

Too my iPad Pro to Apple store and was unable to fix this. Tried Apple Card reader and also mine in store iPad with no resolution.

appears this is entirely an IOS Software issue with no planned fixes. Apparently this is happening across multiple devices.

very annoying as thumbnails do not show in photo app and downloading content quickly from files is slow.

all I can suggest is that as many people as possible visit local Apple stores or contact Apple support engineers.

Jan 1, 2020 5:48 AM in response to Angiev29

Having spoken to Apple Support it has been confirmed that this has been reported to development engineers. Likelihood of fix is dependent, I think, on this fault being prioritised. Unfortunately, those of us using card readers are really quite discreet population of users. I suggest as many people as possible contact Apple support to try and nudge this up towards the top of the que.

Apple SD Card reader not working in IOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.