Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Mac Sierra 10.13.6 and just upgraded my iPhone 7 to 13.1.2 and Itunes does not recognize my phone.

I understand that if I could upgrade to Mojave, I would not have this problem, but I cannot upgrade as I am user an older computer. Before I upgraded my iPhone last night, I was able to have Itunes recognize my phone once it was plugged, connected to WiFi and connected through a USB port.

I have problem solved with a new Apple charging cable, another computer, and it seems to be something that is going on with my phone and syncing to Itunes.

Help Please! lauree

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 5:42 AM

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2019 5:42 AM in response to emmee222

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Oct 5, 2019 10:59 PM in response to emmee222

emmee222 wrote:

I do not know how to restore using my iPhone since the iTunes app does not turn on.

can you give me that information? Thanks! Lauree

Yes, I can give you this information ... if iTunes is really hopeless... and you have in fact completed a good iCloud backup (which you can check at Settings > [Your Apple ID] > iCloud > iCloud Backup):

First, thoroughly erase the iPhone:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Next, restore the iCloud backup:

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 5, 2019 10:50 PM in response to sberman

Well....Is there any tricks to fix this. I have tested hubs, used a new apple lightening charging/usb cable, done the appropriate hard reset on phone and restart of my computer.

Is my only solution that I need to restore my iPhone? i then would only be able to add all my lost information from my iCloud back up, correct? I would like not to loose my texts but it seems i would.

I do not know how to restore using my iPhone since the iTunes app does not turn on.

can you give me that information? Thanks! Lauree

Oct 6, 2019 9:46 AM in response to turingtest2

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR EXPERT HELP!

I knew I had the highest operating systems for everything that I could have with High Sierra, but my phone was stuck I guess. Once I followed your directions this morning, though the iTunes did not pop open, I clicked on it and my iPhone was recognized and it immediately did that first syncing. Then i backed it up to iCloud and the computer the way I always do manually every few weeks. I have tested all the apple cords and usb ports and all are in good working order.

Have a wonderful day! Lauree

Oct 6, 2019 1:52 PM in response to turingtest2

I think I have this same (or similar) problem. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, running Sierra 10.12.6.

Trying to sync my iPhone SE in iTunes 12.8.1.3 My computer won't recognize my phone. My iPhone is currently running 12.4. It keeps asking me to upgrade to 13.1.2 but I have not upgraded yet. I tried the solution (above) but the MobileDeviceUpdater did not work for me. It didn't do anything. Please help! Thanks!

Wendy

I have Mac Sierra 10.13.6 and just upgraded my iPhone 7 to 13.1.2 and Itunes does not recognize my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.