Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iTunes on my MacBook Pro doesn't recognize my iPhone 11 Pro

When I plug my iPhone 11 Pro into my iTunes, iTunes says it doesn't recognize my phone. Has anyone come across this issue and know how to fix it?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 4:45 AM

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 4:45 AM in response to KirstW

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Jun 19, 2020 4:39 PM in response to turingtest2

I've tried all that and it didn't work. I got told to try rebooting my MacBook into safe mode. I did that and it didn't recognize that there was anything plugged in at all. The phone wouldn't charge.

I tried to go back to the live chat with them but don't seem to be getting the option to live chat. Just calls scheduled next week.

Jun 22, 2020 12:56 PM in response to turingtest2

I can't back through to live chat with Apple. When I click on support it says 403 forbidden. I don't seem to be able to get back to chatting to them to update them on what to do next. I've tried new cables and ports and no luck.

I have no idea how to get back in touch with them. Last week I was on the phone for 40 mins and they said the case number I gave them from my previous live chat doesn't exist and then cut me off. I tried emailing and got told to go to live chat - but can't find the option anywhere! I'm getting so frustrated!

Jul 21, 2020 12:31 PM in response to KirstW

So I had the same issue when with my new iPhone 11 Pro (running OS13.6) when trying out what was suggested above (I have a Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.6):

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/ResourcesUnlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.When I click on MobileDeviceUpdater I get an error pop up:  You can’t open the application “MobileDeviceUpdater” because apps in this folder are not installed. To open this application, look for it in the Applications folder.

I called Apple Support and it turns out, my new iPhone wasn't a trusted device yet! So, my fix was simple:

Open Finder

Click on my new iPhone in the Locations section on the left hand side of Finder

Then on my Mac and iPhone hit the Trust button.

Now I see my new iPhone in iTunes/Music app.

My iTunes on my MacBook Pro doesn't recognize my iPhone 11 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.