Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os Catalina on macbook pro 2015

Hello!

I was wondering if it's worth updating to the mac os Catalina when it comes out. I'm using a macbook pro retina 2015 13" with i5 and now running the latest version of mojave without any issue.

I'm a tech geek so I'm usually always updating to the latest version of any software (ios, mac os etc) but I plan to use this laptop for a long time from now and I don't wanna risk any slow down given by a new software.

If any of you have any information regarding the performance of macbook pros retina on Catalina, even if it's still in beta, please let me know since I don't really find that much information online.

Cheers!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 2:35 AM

12 replies

Dec 5, 2019 5:51 AM in response to dimstamat

Don't upgrade. I also have a 2015 Macbook Pro 13''. I have ton of issue upgrading to Catalina. Freezing/crashing of a ton of Electron Apps, Virtual Memory/dynamic paging issue causing heavy performance lag, safari crash on a lot of websites which worked fine in Mojave on lower spec machine, 32bits app support ditched, legacy safari extensions ditched. I deeply regret updating. It offer nothing more than Mojave ; worse, it offer less. Once I'm done with my current School assignment, I reinstall fresh Mojave.

Dec 18, 2019 11:51 PM in response to catalinqwe

I wouldn't.

Just look around, there are way too many people with rather serious problems (which I relate to Catalina)

I too did it on my mini, and went back to Mojave, which in itself (downgrading to Mojave) was quite an odyssey.

OTOH, I run Catalina on my Air, and there all is working perfectly. The only thing was that the security-update (10.15.2) had to be downloaded/installed manually, but that's not really an issue and will be solved one day or another.

Feb 1, 2020 6:35 AM in response to justauser2020

I have a Retina, 15 inch mid 2015 McBook pro with macOS high Sierra 10.13.06, and Macintosh SSD. I get errors trying to upgrade to macOS Catalina. The SSD is almost empty but I got the error the volume requirements are not met! Then I got the error that the SSD is encrypted! I tried to decrypt it, and the got the error that the SSD is decrypted so macOS Catalina cannot be installed. and now, I got the error that macOS Catalina cannot be installed on Macintosh SSD. So, I am confused! I already got the Apple Genius Bar to inspect the laptop, they assured me that the hardware and software are fine and there is no problem. I appreciate your help.

mac os Catalina on macbook pro 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.