Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts randomly deleted from Phone and iCloud

I had recently upgraded my iPhone 7 to iOS 13.

Today i found that most of my contacts (not all) have automatically been deleted and I cannot find them anywhere. They have also gone from my iCloud.

I have no idea what to do here... Most of my contacts are gone and not recoverable.

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 11:45 AM

I managed to get my contacts back.

Please find the steps i followed below.

Note: This works only if you have added a google account in your iphone for sync.

1. Go to contacts.google.com/ on a laptop
    2. Next to the search bar there is a settings icon. Open that and click "Undo Changes"
    3. Select a point in history where you want to restore.
    4. You get your contacts back. Hit Export on the sidebar to the left and select vCard.
    5. Put this vCard file in your icloud drive. Back it up in multiple places.
    6. From your iphone go to icloud files app and import the contacts from this vCard file.
    7. Go to icloud settings -> icloud backup and hit "back up now".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2019 11:45 AM in response to nikhilkamath

I managed to get my contacts back.

Please find the steps i followed below.

Note: This works only if you have added a google account in your iphone for sync.

1. Go to contacts.google.com/ on a laptop
    2. Next to the search bar there is a settings icon. Open that and click "Undo Changes"
    3. Select a point in history where you want to restore.
    4. You get your contacts back. Hit Export on the sidebar to the left and select vCard.
    5. Put this vCard file in your icloud drive. Back it up in multiple places.
    6. From your iphone go to icloud files app and import the contacts from this vCard file.
    7. Go to icloud settings -> icloud backup and hit "back up now".

Oct 6, 2019 7:19 AM in response to nikhilkamath

Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

1. How many Contacts account (email client server) you have?
  2. What is your default Contacts Account?
  3. Which email account you are using to store Contacts?

• See the GIF below for Contacts and Default Account

• Learn how to add an email account and make it default (Watch the GIF)
  • This example is for Gmail but the process remains same for all Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

Oct 6, 2019 9:59 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have 2 email accounts , Gmail and an office account (Besides iCloud).

My Default account has always been my personal Gmail account.

I checked the account settings and Contacts Syncing is enabled on all 3 accounts.

Things I've tried so far:

1. Changing the default account to iCloud from Gmail and vice versa.. But the contacts that I lost dont seem to appear.
  2. Restarting my Device
  3. Resetting Network Settings
  4. Checking my iCloud Account for these contacts that are missing.. They aren't there (Even on my Personal Gmail and Work Gmail accounts)

Contacts randomly deleted from Phone and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.