Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why am I unable to delete apps?

My experience is that by pressing and holding an app, I can cause an `x' to appear next to the app. Then I can click on the `x' to delete the app. But, when I press and hold, I instead see a message asking me if I want to share the app. What's up with that?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 1:59 PM

Tap and hold lightly on the icon (don't press down too hard else you'll invoke 3D touch).

And wait...

After a couple of seconds icons will start jiggling and you'll be able to delete with the "X"

See example below where I delete Adobe Scan app.

6 replies

Oct 6, 2019 2:18 PM in response to cjudge1

Okay, if you are on iOS 12, you would not get the haptic behavior. What app are you trying to delete? It may be one that cannot be deleted, or you may have restrictions turned on to prevent you from deleting apps. If you are seeing a different menu pop up when you press on it than what Saifan Pilot has provided, then you need to only hold your finger gently on the icon until you see them move. If that is not happening either, then check your restrictions. See this support document, How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

why am I unable to delete apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.