Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two factor verification when you only have access to 1 apple device

I'm a fairly new apple user with an iPad mini 4 and a new iPad Air. When I do something on my Air that requires 2 factor authorization my iPad mini 4 is the device that receives the security code. The major problem here is that I'm traveling with my Air and my mini 4 is always home. I do have trusted phone numbers in my security setup but I never am receiving a text on my android phone(s) with the security code. What can I do? There is no way I want to travel with both Apple devices and everything I've read seems to suggest that 2 factor authorization gets sent to your "other" Apple device(s). So what is the trusted phone numbers use? Help please!!!

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 7:02 AM

If both your iPad mini 4 and iPad Air are trusted devices under the same AppleID, both will receive the push notification for a 2 factor authentication 6-digit code, regardless of which device is in use that prompts the need for a code.

The backup SMS number would only be used if you do not have the ability to receive the normal purchase notification and request the code using one if the alternate methods. The default method of sending codes is iCloud push notification to all of your trusted devices. A backup voice or SMS telephone number is only used if those are not available - see

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if I can't access a trusted device or didn't receive a verification code?

If you're signing in and don’t have a trusted device handy that can display verification codes, you can have a code sent to your trusted phone number via text message or an automated phone call instead. Click Didn't Get a Code on the sign in screen and choose to send a code to your trusted phone number. You can also get a code directly from Settings on a trusted device. Learn how to get a verification code.

If you use iOS 11.3 or later on your iPhone, you might not need to enter a verification code. In some cases, your trusted phone number can be automatically verified in the background on your iPhone. It’s one less thing to do, and your account is still protected with two-factor authentication.”

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 7:02 AM in response to marklyn59

If both your iPad mini 4 and iPad Air are trusted devices under the same AppleID, both will receive the push notification for a 2 factor authentication 6-digit code, regardless of which device is in use that prompts the need for a code.

The backup SMS number would only be used if you do not have the ability to receive the normal purchase notification and request the code using one if the alternate methods. The default method of sending codes is iCloud push notification to all of your trusted devices. A backup voice or SMS telephone number is only used if those are not available - see

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if I can't access a trusted device or didn't receive a verification code?

If you're signing in and don’t have a trusted device handy that can display verification codes, you can have a code sent to your trusted phone number via text message or an automated phone call instead. Click Didn't Get a Code on the sign in screen and choose to send a code to your trusted phone number. You can also get a code directly from Settings on a trusted device. Learn how to get a verification code.

If you use iOS 11.3 or later on your iPhone, you might not need to enter a verification code. In some cases, your trusted phone number can be automatically verified in the background on your iPhone. It’s one less thing to do, and your account is still protected with two-factor authentication.”

Two factor verification when you only have access to 1 apple device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.