Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing from two-factor authentication to two-step verification

I have an Apple ID, created decades ago for iPod and iTunes, but otherwise use Windows and Android. I now also have a work iPhone and iPad, and my Apple ID has adopted the Apple devices as 2nd factor for authentication. This means that whenever I sign into my Apple ID, I have to turn on the work phone for two-factor authentication. I'd much rather have my Apple ID send an sms text to my private Android phone as 2nd step. But I can't find an option to change two-factor in my Apple ID security settings.

This is an inconvenience now, but if I leave my job and turn in the devices, it becomes insurmountable.

How can I move from Apple device two-factor authentication to sms two-step?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 10:39 AM

FMK205 wrote:

So, if I can't get rid of 2FA, what happens when I turn in my two Apple devices and remove them from my account? How do I then sign in to my Apple ID?

If you have no Apple trusted devices, you would use one of your trusted telephone numbers to get a code via SMS or automated voice call.

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 18, 2021 10:50 AM in response to FMK205

Did you not happen to see my second post where I said just add a second number (Apple just calls it a "trusted" number) where you can get a text or a phone call?

I guess you didn't.

To see how to 'Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication', click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT204974

- Use a Trusted Device: Mac, iPhone, iPad, Watch. Code is either generated automatically or manually using Settings on the Trusted Device.

- Text or phone call to a trusted telephone number (also landlines).

- Get a code from an Account Recovery Contact --> https://support.apple.com/HT212513

- Instructions at the end about what to do if you cannot get a code and need to use account recovery.

Oct 18, 2021 11:04 AM in response to Limnos

When you answer a question, and the asker tells you your answer isn't helpful, best strategy is to accept the fact that the asker did not find your answer helpful.

I asked three things, really:

1. How can I change 2FA?
  2. How can I move from 2FA to 2SV?
  3. What happens to 2FA when I no longer have the i-devices?

You anwered none of these. You first referred me to documentation I'd already seen, without clarifying how that documentation was supposed to address my concerns. Then gave a suggestion that didn't answer my questions: like I said in response: adding a trusted number does not change the 2FA behavior I'm seeing, I'm still getting only 2FA on my i-devices when I sign in. And again, the bit about online signin without 2FA is simply untrue.

Michael answered all three of my questions, while giving me the distinct impression that he not only understood what I was asking but also why:

1. You cannot.
  2. You cannot.
  3. When that happens, then you can fall back on sms to a trusted number.

None of these three answers were contained in your replies.

So again, Michael's answers were helpful to me, and yours weren't. Insisting that they were doesn't make it so. An answer can really only be helpful if you understand why it is being asked.

Oct 18, 2021 6:44 AM in response to FMK205

You cannot revert 2 factor authentication to the much older 2 step verification system. 2FA was specifically introduced to address the inherent poorer security in 2 step verification and SMS texts. With 2FA, the default method for sending codes was changed to use Apple’s own proprietary iCloud notification system and sends codes by encrypted notification. An SMS text is only used with 2FA as a backup system in the event a trusted Apple device is not available.

Oct 18, 2021 7:16 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos, updating the trusted numbers does not change the behavior of 2-factor authentication. I tried. I removed my iPhone number, so only my Android number was registered, and still signing in with my Apple ID used the iPhone as 2nd factor. I suppose this was because the phone nos aren't used as 2nd factor at all.

Oct 18, 2021 7:38 AM in response to FMK205

I believe you can sign into iCloud.com with a web browser and not need a trusted device.

If you have something that needs it then read the documents in my earlier post thoroughly. You can even use a plain old telephone if necessary.

"If you want to add a phone number, click Add a Trusted Phone Number and

enter the phone number. Choose to verify the number with a text message

or automated phone call"

Oct 18, 2021 10:47 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos, you merely posted two links to Apple documentation, without actually answering my question or addressing the concern at the root of my question: what happens when I no longer have an i-device. Also, one of the parts of your subsequent answer is simply not true (signing in online does require 2FA). Michael Black did answer my question and address the underlying concern. Hence, his answer is helpful to me, and yours wasn't.

Changing from two-factor authentication to two-step verification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.