Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two-factor authentication

I get it... We are not able to turn off the two-factor authentication. However, the annoyance factor just raised it to the level of throwing all my Apple devices out of the window of a 40 story skyscraper and have a back hoe crush it under its tread.

Is there a way to change the device that is being notified with the authentication number? It is annoying as I take my iPad everywhere, but my laptop secured elsewhere. So if I were to accidentally do something stupid while away from my laptop, (I have serious butter finger moments) which requires me to confirm my verification code, I am totally screwed until I get back to my laptop...

What am I missing? Is there a way to change this to another also mobile device? (For the record my other mobile device is not an Apple product)

This may be silly, but I tried the FAQs first and didn't find an answer to my dilemma So here I am.

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 4:36 PM

By default, Apple 2 factor authentication codes are sent simultaneously by encrypted iCloud push notification to all trusted devices listed under your AppleID.

I have an iPhone, 3 iPads and two Macs. When I need a code, an iCloud push notification pops up on all of them at the same time.

You can (and should) register some other SMS and/or voice capable telephone number as a backup, but it will not be used by default (only as backup when you don’t have access to an Apple trusted device).

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 4:36 PM in response to BJPL_00

By default, Apple 2 factor authentication codes are sent simultaneously by encrypted iCloud push notification to all trusted devices listed under your AppleID.

I have an iPhone, 3 iPads and two Macs. When I need a code, an iCloud push notification pops up on all of them at the same time.

You can (and should) register some other SMS and/or voice capable telephone number as a backup, but it will not be used by default (only as backup when you don’t have access to an Apple trusted device).

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

two-factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.