Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I let my GarageBand run in background it keeps crashing

In iOS 13 and higher when I let my garage band run in background it keeps crashing I think it’s a bug

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:53 AM

44 replies

Nov 20, 2019 1:52 AM in response to Farhills

Still the same bug on iPad Pro 10,5, iPadOS 13.2.3.

Garage Band not running in background (run in background activated for sure!)

Reinstallation doesn‘t do anything.

As soon as I switch to any other app, GB quits playing after 10-20 secs.

TRUE shame! I need GB for my students in my guitar lessons everyday, min. 6 hours a day.

Since we cannot go back to iOS 12 no more, once iOS 13 was initially installed (yes ... no iOS 12 Bckp will work...), THIS is the biggest issue I‘ve ever had with Apple-stuff. A shame also, that there‘s NO 3rd party App to fill the gap until Apple fixes that.

Daaaaamn

Oct 19, 2019 7:52 AM in response to Farhills

I’ve had this problem and others on GarageBand since I updated to iOS 13.2. I reset and deleted and reinstalled app but nothing changed. I have now updated to iOS 13.3 hoping for some kind of improvement and still no change. I haven’t reset or deleted and reinstalled the app on this new update because I somehow feel that it won’t change anything. Has anyone noticed any improvements? Or figured out how to fix this problem? I can’t seem to find any answers anywhere!

Nov 5, 2019 10:34 PM in response to Farhills

Started with me today. iPad Air 3 GarageBand would just quit and go to the lock screen though no wallpaper, just black with the clock (& no date?) The app hasn’t crashed, and it appears to suffer no damages (haven’t lost the open tracks at least), it just blips to a black blank Must home button press, and GarageBand shows as running in the background. Just updated IPadOS and it’s... still happening.

This is a bad bug.

Nov 6, 2019 5:36 AM in response to Mike702

Farhills, have you tried backing up your iPad and resetting GarageBand through settings? This sounds like a different problem to what I have but I came across a YouTube video while looking for a fix for my problem that sounds a bit like yours. I’m not sure if the link will show but this guy is pretty good with GarageBand tips and tutorials. If the link doesn’t show, the video is called “GarageBand iOS Crashing? Fix with Reset GarageBand (iPhone/iPad)” YouTube user is Peter Johns. https://youtu.be/-veffqQDdXk

Goobrador, my question was originally for Spaceflows as they said they managed to fix the problem but I guess from your answer that probably isn’t the case with everyone. I would suggest you try the advice I gave to Farhills above too and see if it helps at all, might as well try everything. I wouldn’t get my hopes up though, I tried this for our problem as well as updating to 13.1.3, deleting completely and reinstalling and I still have this problem. I haven’t tried deleting and reinstalling with the new update (13.2) again, I was hoping for some kind of confirmation first but when I go ahead and give it a go, I’ll let everyone know whether or not it works. Good luck guys! Please keep us updated with any progress.

Nov 16, 2019 12:24 PM in response to Farhills

Anyone know when the fix for this might be out? This has seriously impacted my workflow and I need to work on a track with a deadline... I can no longer use stuff like Synth One, Bias FX, Bias Amp 2 etc - and not everyone has moved to using Au3 yet - IAA was only supposed to be deprecated but this bug just killed IAA without warning - what a massively crippling bug :(

very disappointing

Nov 17, 2019 1:11 PM in response to JeimyKarina

Hey JeimyKarina,

AirPad 3 running Updated 13.2.2.

For the mo' GarageBand is stable, though keeping my distance from long sessions w/it & backing up to iCloud practically every hour. Two AppleCare sessions & counting here. There is a bug that seems to be at the root of this that the AC rep & I discovered together.

*The 'Passcode Required' setting is defaulting to ‘Immediately'- no other 1,2,5, minutes etc’s setting option is showing up AT ALL. Did a reset & all was well- until it returned. When & what action caused it to I know not. This also is showing on my iPhone 8 Plus as WELL AS my spouse's new iPhone 11 Pro. None of our 3 iOS devices are actually appearing to 'Require Passcode' any differently than normal. Aside from the random lock screen behavior of my iPad Air 3 that continues. Would everyone check this on your iOS devices & lemme know?

AppleCare has been mum on if this is a big bug. It seems like it is a pretty big one.

This morning I’ve been having a lot of glitches w/momentarily forgotten KeyChain info, Autocorrect, & more, so argh.

Mike702

Nov 17, 2019 1:31 PM in response to Highway67TheBand

Hey Highway67TheBand,

The AUV3 issues are on the developers to make nice with. SynthOne is working for me as an IAA, the other two AudioKit apps (D1 & FM) are not, and for what it’s worth, A.K. is being upfront about the AUV3 problems (& I’ve been checking obsessively for the update fixes).

I am no pro (at all) but you should contact them directly for IAA SynthOne stuff. I think the last update said something about offloading & reinstalling 3rd party iOS app/Mac handled SynthOne tracks/projects?

Best,

Mike702

Nov 18, 2019 11:24 PM in response to Mike702

Hey Mike702

:) No, I know, and kudos to the ones that are ahead of that curve already

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike - But It is essentially GB that is no longer able to run in the background for longer than about 10 -15s regardless of the IAA app being used - Any IAA app recording a clip shorter than that is fine, over about 10-15s and it crashes - Someone from Apple support reached out directly and said they’d put me touch with their engineering folks who would collect some more details around this. Shall keep you posted

-

S

Nov 24, 2019 11:52 PM in response to Highway67TheBand

I have the same problem. I did notice that it works fine in the background while using the MuseScore app. Leads me to think is is an audio versus midi type problem. Might work with XML files in other programs. I transfer my finale file to musescore since it’s a free app, and there is no app for playing finale songs on iPad. I can play my piano thru garage band while running the notation on musescore. I travel a lot, and I can carry my iRig pro piano and iPad and have all my music available.

Nov 30, 2019 7:17 AM in response to Farhills

Same here on GarageBand crashing in background after installing IOS 13… thru at the moment the current 13.2.3. My troubles are on an iPhone 6sPlus. The crashes, like many state on this thread, are with IAA. Both during play or recording. After starting a new project or with existing ones, then adding IAA - after a few seconds (from 2 or 3 to 10-ish seconds depending on the App) when going to the other App and beginning recording or play, even beginning recording or play in GB, then going to the IAA - GB crashes and none of the few seconds of track contents are saved. If I switch back to GB before the crash, the contents are saved. GB is mostly solid otherwise, but pretty useless to my workflow w/o IAA. This occurs both for IAA EFFECTS (AmpKit) and INSTRUMENTS like; ThumbJam, DrumJam, iTabla, Animoog, and 3 beat machine Apps by ASI, a mix of iPad & Universal Apps. All of which still work fine as stand alone, all of which worked fine with GB before the IOS 13 install and all of its updates.

Nov 30, 2019 10:15 AM in response to Farhills

Sorry for the modified duplicate posts above, Moderator, it's ok to remove my first post...

Anyway, I wanted to mention that I tried Reset all Settings and two tries at reset GarageBand - neither worked. I called Apple weeks ago who suggested the Reset all settings then restore from back-up if the Reset didn't work. After reading how some of you even tried to restore from BU not working, no way do I want to go thru the full day of hassle trying that. An Apple rep told me they had no documentations on GB crashing after IOS 13. But it sure looks like documentation here on this thread. I'll call them back now to report the reset didn't work and express my reluctance to try a restore after reading here that that doesn't help. It's clear problems after IOS 13 are effecting some devices and the folks on this thread are clearly stating the trouble. C'mon Apple, please fix this.

When I let my GarageBand run in background it keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.