Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina installation stuck

The Catalina installation seems to be stuck for hours with:

“Estimating time remaining...”

I don’t recall having an installation on previous OSs taking so long.

Forced reboot and back to the same stage.

Anybody?

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 5:38 AM

After about two hours of seemingly no progress, I restarted. I don't really consider this a good thing to do during a system installation but this seemed to get things going. At least a message came up saying 32 minutes remaining – although it still took over an hour after that.

I think Apple needs to put a more senior developer on the install process to reassure the user that things are working and give progress.

79 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2019 5:38 AM in response to kauli21

After about two hours of seemingly no progress, I restarted. I don't really consider this a good thing to do during a system installation but this seemed to get things going. At least a message came up saying 32 minutes remaining – although it still took over an hour after that.

I think Apple needs to put a more senior developer on the install process to reassure the user that things are working and give progress.

Oct 9, 2019 12:55 AM in response to Richardsingapore

Just to report my experience -- after leaving my Mac at "calculating time remaining" for 5 hours, i went to bed. Woke up 7 hours later to find a nice, happy Catalina login screen. So be patient and your upgrade will probably go OK.

And to answer my own question, hopefully without angering Allan Eckert, when the upgrader appears to be stuck for hours and Control + L doesn't work, it doesn't necessarily mean that it has hung. I couldn't get supplemental info on the upgrade by doing Control + L but the upgrade still completed. Hopefully that is useful yo people in their long wait for the upgrade to complete.

Oct 9, 2019 2:02 AM in response to Richardsingapore

**** Allen your a Jack-*** too just like another dude I had to check like I’m doing to you now. Loose the I am superior to all attitude and instead of waisting time heckling folks for asking a simple any one out there have knowledge and can give insight attitude ya got bud. How bout being nice and help cause we all know dam well no apple solution person will jump in and help that’s why this is called COMMUNITY SUPPORT.

Oct 9, 2019 6:01 AM in response to miner2008

iMac 27in

I pressed the power button, and immediately the 'estimating time' label changed to something like

• this mac will reboot when the installation is finished

then

• 9 minutes remaining

then

• 18 mins..

then

• back to the 'estimating time remaining'

It does at least show me that something is still working, and the process is responsive. It may be that some subprocess is completely stuck though. The 18mins was completely wrong!

Oct 8, 2019 1:03 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Didn’t think I was hijacking - I appear to have the same problem. Just trying to get someone knowledgeable to add insight that might be helpful for others, inc me, seemingly having the same problem as the original poster. He waited for 3 hours and problem resolved itself. Curious if ctrl + L would be expected to work during his 3 hour wait and my 2 hour (so far...) wait. Surely better if comments on same problem are all in the same thread?

Oct 9, 2019 11:26 AM in response to miner2008

Stuck on estimating time remaining as well. Upgrading a Mojave VMware Fusion virtual machine, which I know from others ultimately works. Mojave was working fine on the VM. Main Mac OS is Mojave. Putting this early Catalina on a VM because I have 32 bit apps I can't give up quite yet. Have read on the web NUMEROUS people get stuck at this point and also at another point. Some have forced it down and upon restarting it picked up better, and moved on... so it seems like it really is stuck, though I read here where others say they waited it out for 8 hours or whatever.. I'm tempted to force it down, but I dont know for sure yet what I'll do. Apple needs to address this.

Oct 9, 2019 11:47 AM in response to Goravani

Restarted the virtual machine after taking a snapshot for safety, and it went through the progress bar and is stuck at the same place again.. so at least it knows how to recover itself even through a restart.. I've read and been told to just wait, that this installation takes anywhere from 3 to 8 to 24 hours to install, fortunately computers can just be left on to do their thing, I imagine Apple will fix this, as it doesn't need that much time, it's definitely a loop, oh mine just changed, restarting may have helped, I'm up to the password login window... yay... I didn't have to wait it out, restarting is the thing.

Catalina installation stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.