Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 'Music' app using 30 GB of memory and increasing

Installed Catalina today and started the new Music app playing in the background. Later I saw that there were some memory usage alerts and then saw that the Music app was stated as using 30 GB of memory (I have 16 GB on my MBP).

Closed the app and started it up again. It began by using about 250 MB of memory. But then memory usage going up by about 15 MB every second. A few minutes later and I'm already back yp to 3.5 GB and climbing.

Is anybody else seeing this?

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 6:59 PM

It did that for me and got up to about 22GB. It was getting the album art. I restarted the app and it started lower and started getting the rest of the art. Once that was done, I restarted the app again and the memory usage is now steady around 600MB.

Seems very excessive to use that much memory to get album art. I have over 40GB of music, but still...

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 6:59 PM in response to Jim Norman

It did that for me and got up to about 22GB. It was getting the album art. I restarted the app and it started lower and started getting the rest of the art. Once that was done, I restarted the app again and the memory usage is now steady around 600MB.

Seems very excessive to use that much memory to get album art. I have over 40GB of music, but still...

Oct 8, 2019 2:13 AM in response to Philip-P

I have this problem too, it's definitely a fault in Catalina Music, or so. I did leave it running overnight but no solution. Its eating up all my memory starting with a kind of normal usage, but still no album art, just a few. I know this for sure because Audirvana is working perfectly with showing all the album art.

Oct 8, 2019 10:08 PM in response to Jim Norman

I finished installing Catalina around 1 a.m. then went to bed. When I got up, my computer had alerts about needing to shut down all apps because my iMac (with 64 GB of RAM and 900 GB of available storage) had run out of system memory.

All my apps were still up, although the Music app was had quit and lost all its configuration. The ‘runtime’ command showed that my computer had not rebooted since the install, so I figured Music must have crashed, and that everything had somehow returned to normal. I let Music run for a while, reconfigured/resized it, allowed album art to re-download, then relaunched it.

I returned home this evening and my computer was using up all 64 GB of RAM with 70 GB of swapfile usage, all of it going to the Music app. The app was also constantly using up 150% CPU and causing stutters throughout the system. Every once in a while, album art was flickering in and out of my playlists, and the activity window was showing “Loading artwork…” over and over.

Shutting down the Music app instantly released 120+ GB of memory. But then all the artwork is gone once again.

There is something seriously wrong with the way the Music app is dealing with album artwork. It might be a conflict with artwork downloaded in iTunes on earlier versions of macOS...

Oct 9, 2019 4:08 AM in response to zecanard

I also let it run overnight and memory usage got up to 90 GB before I found it rebooted in the morning.

The good news is that it eventually sorted itself out. If it's related to how many songs you have, I have 13,000 songs and it took about 18 hours. Now memory usage is steady at about 1 GB. High, but it's not killing my system.

So yep, it seems something is wrong with the memory management or how it gets Album Art. But it will eventually be back to normal.

Side note - Apple using the generic name 'Music' for the app sure makes it a lot harder to get a search engine to find help

Oct 9, 2019 2:19 PM in response to Jim Norman

I hope so. Mine keeps losing all album art on every relaunch, causing Time Machine to backup hundreds of GB over and over. Memory consumption stays around 4 GB for a little while after opening, but then doubles every so often. It was sitting at 40 GB of swapfile after a few hours just now. This is also causing premature wear-and-tear on SSDs.

Oct 9, 2019 4:04 PM in response to Jim Norman

I'm having the same problem and it has not improved since updating to Catalina. It is still "loading artwork" despite being on all day while I was at work. The computer has been restarted a couple times to see if that would help and it doesn't. Computer is constantly running at max RAM memory. It actually is struggling to type out this post its lagging so bad from the RAM hog that Music has become. This problem is not "Solved".

Oct 9, 2019 4:08 PM in response to Jim Norman

Yeah, that’s what I’ll have to do. I might just have to call AppleCare and see if they have any useful suggestions. The weird thing is my music files all show their album art in the Finder; Music just can’t seem to read/update them. I saw an Album Art folder in one of the Library sub-folders, but it was empty. I wonder if that’s related to these issues.

Oct 12, 2019 11:10 PM in response to Jim Norman

After struggling with the same thing since the update I finally broke down and chatted with Apple Support. After troubleshooting a few things they had me reinstall Catalina. At this point that seems to have worked perfectly. I no longer have any issue running the Music app. The loop of "loading artwork" has been nonexistent and my Ram use with the Music app is back to normal.

New 'Music' app using 30 GB of memory and increasing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.