Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Setup hangs . Anyone else?

How long is it going to take?

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 11:26 PM

i just read a discussion on Macrumors and many people had the same problem. They just rebooted, and it worked.

i have been waiting two hours, and still stuck there. I going to sleep but I am pretty sure tomorrow morning the "Setting Up Your Mac" will still be there, and I will have to force restart like everybody else.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 11:26 PM in response to Ldroadie

i just read a discussion on Macrumors and many people had the same problem. They just rebooted, and it worked.

i have been waiting two hours, and still stuck there. I going to sleep but I am pretty sure tomorrow morning the "Setting Up Your Mac" will still be there, and I will have to force restart like everybody else.

Oct 7, 2019 11:57 PM in response to Wencheroo

Funny thing

while writing on this page with my iPad mini, the Mac went into sleep, I woke it up Tom login screen, but I select another user, I was able to login without problem, I logout, log back in my account , still stuck at the Setting Up Your Mac. So I did the force restart, and it worked.

I have been Apple DOS since 1981 then using Mac OS since 1989, ans macOS X since the first beta Rhapsody in 1997.

never had a problem until today. Scary...

Oct 8, 2019 3:40 AM in response to Wencheroo

I did the reboot too but my messages are no longer synced and I don't seem to be able to get them back. Wondered if it was because I did the restart (well actually switched it off, went to bed really late and switched it on again this morning!) but there are others with the same problem who don't mention rebooting.

Ah! Just rebooted again and all my messages are back!

Oct 8, 2019 4:12 AM in response to SlippySlope

All went well...I powered my MBA off and then powered back up and it went directly to the new macOS Catalina start page. I logged into my MBA and it went to the Welcome to Catalina (Explore Catalina). All of my favorites are there in Safari. I opened Mail and got the popup window "Mail Upgrade"...Upgrading your Mail database...this may take a few minutes. While you wait you can read about the new features in Mail...(I have a VERY LARGE Mail database)

Everything seems is copasetic...so now my iPhone X (waiting for my iPhone 11) is on iOS 13.1.2, both my iPad Pro and iPad Air 2 are on iPadOS 13.1.2...and, hopefully, they will all talk to one another and stay in sync.

Oct 9, 2019 10:05 AM in response to Ldroadie

‘Upgraded’ to Catalina on 8 October 2019 and after downloading it got stuck at system setup - ran overnight and was still stuck in the morning - called Apple support and after 15 minutes on hold I had a tech who worked with me for >1 hour to restart which was fine and then he went above and beyond to help me check on, run first aid and reset some things. Thank you Mark in Kentucky !!!

Catalina Setup hangs . Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.