Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

local web server on catalina

My local web server that worked under Mojave is not working any longer on Catalina. What has changed?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 8:14 AM

dingoe wrote:

Did a SymLink to an external drive (usb-stick) work for you? On it just a bunch of html-files. No Wordpress database.
symlinks to local folders work fine with me and I can open the html-files on the usb-stick also with Safari as file:// when 'Disable local file restrictions' is checked.

Not at first. I had to give the /usr/sbin/httpd executable Full Disk Access in System Preferences > Security > Privacy. I don’t know what the security implications of this are. I doubt it is any worse that it was in Mojave. The Mac is being turned into a true consumer-only device. You can still use it for web development if you know right where to beat it with the rubber hose. But macOS hasn’t been appropriate as a true server for several years. It’s just a different world now.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 8:14 AM in response to dingoe

dingoe wrote:

Did a SymLink to an external drive (usb-stick) work for you? On it just a bunch of html-files. No Wordpress database.
symlinks to local folders work fine with me and I can open the html-files on the usb-stick also with Safari as file:// when 'Disable local file restrictions' is checked.

Not at first. I had to give the /usr/sbin/httpd executable Full Disk Access in System Preferences > Security > Privacy. I don’t know what the security implications of this are. I doubt it is any worse that it was in Mojave. The Mac is being turned into a true consumer-only device. You can still use it for web development if you know right where to beat it with the rubber hose. But macOS hasn’t been appropriate as a true server for several years. It’s just a different world now.

Oct 9, 2019 11:36 PM in response to etresoft

Yes, I have done that and checked it against your instructions. I seems the same as for Mojave. The difference is that under Catalina I don't get the FollowSymLinks working. I have a Symlink to a USB-stick on which a backup of a Wordpress weblog. It always worked under all versions up to Catalina where I get a '403 Forbidden' error with all my browsers. Even with Safari where 'Disable local file restrictions' is checked. I use the ssl_module by the way.

local web server on catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.