Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari connection issue

I upgraded to Catalina and now Safari doesn't work. I receive a message that safari is unable to connect to the server for most sites. It worked fine until I upgraded. Has anyone experienced this problem and have any solutions been found?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 11:38 AM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2019 11:38 AM in response to rak200

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Dec 9, 2019 11:23 PM in response to rak200

rak200 Said:

[...]I can return to the site without receiving the connection not private message again. However many sites just immediately return message that can not connect to server.

———-

First, Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

Then...

Reset your SMC and Your NVRAM.

Changes occur, and sometimes, as a result, your Mac needs to reset itself. as a way to get back to its default operations. So, reset the above.

Dec 9, 2019 10:12 PM in response to rak200

rak200 Said:

"safari connection issue: I upgraded to Catalina and now Safari doesn't work. I receive a message that safari is unable to connect to the server for most sites. It worked fine until I upgraded. Has anyone experienced this problem and have any solutions been found?"

-------

Try This: Clear Your Temporary Internet Files (History and Cache)

Dec 9, 2019 10:50 PM in response to TheLittles

Clearing history and cache did not solve the problem. On some sites instead of getting the message that safari can not connect to the server I get a message that the connection is not private and then I am able to connect to the site after going through steps to visit site anyway by updating certificate trust setting for the particular site. Supposedly the certificate is not valid. The message is the same for CNN, Fox, CBS, etc. After I update trust setting, I can return to the site without receiving the connection not private message again. However many sites just immediately return message that can not connect to server.

Dec 10, 2019 3:21 PM in response to Eric Root

I am running only malwarebytes and not using VPN. I set up a new account as you suggested and the problem does not occur in the new acct. Safari works normally as it used to in my acct. I guess this means the issue is in my account settings or files only. Can you tell me how and where to access and check those files and settings? Thanks for getting me this far.

safari connection issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.