Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple music memory leak

I've just upgraded to Catalina and started using apple music. Even while idle (aside from "loading artwork" which I'm guessing is a result of switching from iTunes to apple music) I'm seeing the RAM constantly increase. I just checked the performance monitor and sae apple music using 86GB! I've restarted the application and I'm monitoring now and can see it constantly rising.

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 1:15 PM

It does seem like the album artwork sync was the issue. I ended up deleting a 4GB folder of "album artwork" from my iTunes folder. This retained all artwork that was embedded in music files but I've lost a lot of other artwork which I'll just have to reimport. I can say though that since deleting this folder the sync notification has gone and iTunes now doesn't use more than about 1.6GB of RAM.

123 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 1:15 PM in response to danfratamico

It does seem like the album artwork sync was the issue. I ended up deleting a 4GB folder of "album artwork" from my iTunes folder. This retained all artwork that was embedded in music files but I've lost a lot of other artwork which I'll just have to reimport. I can say though that since deleting this folder the sync notification has gone and iTunes now doesn't use more than about 1.6GB of RAM.

Oct 8, 2019 12:16 PM in response to issueskid

I have the same issue, I have to force-quit music every time and it is essentially useless after you run out of physical memory and the system starts to swap.

I notice that on the lower-left of the Music app, below the playlists, there's a status message indicating "Loading artwork...", I suspect this has something to do with the memory leak (for surely this is a leak).

My library has about 9000 songs. I'm not sure if this is considered a lot, but perhaps it chokes trying to re-load all the artwork from the migrated iTunes library....

Oct 8, 2019 4:29 PM in response to issueskid

My 30,000+ song library has crashed three times while doing the "loading artwork" routine so I've given up. Each crash takes more than 30-min to recheck the library before the app can even be used. Then the cycle starts again. I knew enough that DJs were being advised not to dump iTunes but I thought that had more to do with how they manage their tracks not something as fundamental as album art. Unbelievable. If it is a library size issue I wonder what is the current threshold size where it becomes unstable?

Oct 9, 2019 12:07 PM in response to flexiboy

I can now report that, after about 20 rounds of running the app until the memory runs out, closing it, and restarting the process over again, this fixed the problem. Apparently it finished churning through all my artwork, about 9000 songs. I did also un-select the "Automatically update artwork" option in the Advanced section of the Settings, though this had no effect on the original memory leak problem.

Good luck!

apple music memory leak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.