Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X Importing Audio issues

I just upgraded to Catalina now im trying to use Logic Pro X and and whenever I import any sort of audio the 1st small bit of music always gets messed up. Please let me know how to fix this. I have had issues importing mp3's as well as converting mp4's to audio files. Its like there is a little hiccup in the conversion proccess for the 1st half second of music every time.

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 11:57 AM

You're not alone.

I've just gone to my work machine which was updated yesterday only to find we can't do any audio work because every file we import to the stage sounds like it is skipping all the way through.

How exactly has this been possible, it's the same company! Sure, different teams, but how can you have your two core software (because Final Cut is also broke) fail on a platform release?

Apple really has stalled on quality in the last 5 years

Similar questions

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 11:57 AM in response to ChrisMcDanielE

You're not alone.

I've just gone to my work machine which was updated yesterday only to find we can't do any audio work because every file we import to the stage sounds like it is skipping all the way through.

How exactly has this been possible, it's the same company! Sure, different teams, but how can you have your two core software (because Final Cut is also broke) fail on a platform release?

Feb 18, 2020 6:16 PM in response to RoninEP

The convert to AIFF tip was already suggested in this discussion.

No need to use any third party or Web based audio converter. In fact I recommend to avoid them. Everything is available on macOS. One simple approach is to use iTunes or Music among others.

Convert a song to a different file format with the Apple Music app or iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

There are also other powerful tools included in macOS.

WD

Oct 8, 2019 1:29 PM in response to ChrisMcDanielE

You are pretty much the first using Catalina and Logic, so you're the single expert in the room.

All third party plugin developers have asked their users to wait for updates of their software since Catalina changes so much under the hood.

Logic itself is not officially ready for Catalina, so bugs and incompatibilities are to be expected.

Why did you upgrade to Catalina ?

Oct 8, 2019 1:39 PM in response to ChrisMcDanielE

Adding to what fuzzfilth said.

If you have a backup, I recommend you rollback to the previous version of macOS.

If you cannot, then what is your Logic version? There was reports on mp3 issues with Logic and Catalina beta. It is possible a recent Logic update fixed them. I cannot test it.

For other users reading this: Do not update to Catalina until you're sure all third party applications, plugins, hardwares are compatible and tested. Also I suggest you deactivate automatic updates; especially for macOS.

WD

Oct 10, 2019 12:41 AM in response to BenB

Apple has to fix lots of things, many more than they care to admit (as if they'd ever admit anything, but that's another matter).

Logic is substantially unstable since 10.4.5, when they changed many things under the hood to support their new Macs. Lots and lots of random, unrepeatable crashes when performing mundane tasks, like clicking anywhere - crash, rubber band select - crash, in the middle of a bounce - crash, etc.. Same in 10.4.6. Same in 10.4.7 where I had the first crash within minutes. The common factor is that the crash always happens in the SeqTimer thread (whatever that is), according to the crash reports.

Back to 10.4.4 which is stable. Rock solid stable. Go figure. Is that Apple's way to tell me that they're only going to code for me if I buy a new $$$ Mac ? Rhetorical question, I know.

Oct 16, 2019 1:09 PM in response to avangelist

avangelist wrote:

Yep, the worst predictions for Logic are becoming true, it's no longer a professional platform. Apple will never update it, just adding feature to an already old design. I'll stick with 10.4.4 on Sierra, fast, efficient and snappy running on a SSD. Even Logic 10.3.3 on El Capitan is good performer. I'd like to think different but Apple uses it's software to sell hardware, they are a hardware company. Their money is made by selling phones, watches, iPads & computers. The sotware is to support and encourage sales. Still enjoy Logic's workflow and still my favorite DAW but it's professional use has been dropping yearly.

Nov 21, 2019 2:59 PM in response to ChrisMcDanielE

SOLUTION!!

I messed up by upgrading to Catalina too soon. So to anyone still having this issue that hasn't or doesn't plan to upgrade to 10.4.7(which supposedly fixes the bugs)...

If you still have GarageBand open it. If not, download it. It's free in the App Store. Start a new project in there. Add any/all audio file(s) you plan on using. Save the project. Open Logic, hit File, Open, then open that garage band project you just saved. Logic will save it as it's own project & the audio file will be there at the right pitch & tempo. 😉.

Dec 1, 2019 11:58 PM in response to ChrisMcDanielE

I had this issue as well. Make sure to install the latest MacOS and latest version of Logic (10.4.7).

This should fix your issue, Apple corrected their error in the latest update.

If it doesn't help, try converting your files to lossless formats (AIFF, WAV) and importing them like that. It will help you to keep going while waiting for the new update.

Jan 3, 2020 9:37 AM in response to Pancenter

This is so incredibly frustrating. I did the update because I was so tired of being reminded every day. I figured it's been so long that I had ignored the notifications I thought it would be safe to do, and sure enough...garbage! I have been experiencing issues for a long time, including when I upgraded my Maschine software, the sampler stopped working. I haven't been able to sample any audio from the inputs since. Logic's issues are that many plugins have now quit, or are not even recognizable. Every export I do reacts in a different way. Podcasts application opens automatically when exporting audio to iTunes. After which, you need to close Logic down so that you can run a search to find your song, then you must open the song to have it open in iTunes which is another story of disaster in its own. Very annoying!

Long story short, DO NOT UPDATE TO CATALINA IF YOU ARE USING LOGIC!

Jan 3, 2020 11:06 AM in response to MacMoronno

MacMoronno wrote:

This is so incredibly frustrating. I did the update because I was so tired of being reminded every day.
Long story short, DO NOT UPDATE TO CATALINA IF YOU ARE USING LOGIC!

Can't you turn OFF auto-updates, that's the first move I make with MAC or PC, every auto update in every application and OS is set to off. Create a stable system then use it, update only when you absolutely need a feature "required" for what you're doing.

Logic Pro X Importing Audio issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.