Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import Audio File is completely unusable now - WHY?

To quickly preface, I've been using Logic since the beginning so I know this program inside and out. And instead of working on the session with a really tight deadline, I'm on forums typing this nonsense because the developers of Logic have once again de-improved their program.

I'm very hesitant to update my OS, ever, because it's inevitable that certain buggy behaviors happen when you move from one OS to another. Anyhow, I know that it becomes necessary at some point, so I made a recent jump up a couple OS. Ever since "updating" to OS Catalina 10.15.7, the import audio file feature of Logic Pro X 10.4.3 is completely unusable. What used to be drag and drop simplicity now seems to be a quest to find the holy grail. I need to import audio CONSTANTLY and most of the time, Logic speeds the audio file by double or triple, with pops, glitches and artifacts galore. I've found insanely pointless workarounds where I have to convert the audio file to a different format using third party software, but why do I have to do this now? What happened to such a simple process? Anyone know a better workaround? Anyone know why the developers of logic are this counter-intuitive in their updating process?

I'll literally drop Logic Pro over this bs, assuming there isn't a stable fix made soon. My small community of audio engineers are also just as enraged and just as baffled by this nonsense. I build out tracks daily, using preexisting audio files, so this idiotic bug makes my job 13.7 times harder.

JD

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2022 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 3:19 PM

I just got off a lengthy conversation with Apple Care and I have a solution. There is a known bug in Logic 10.4 with audio import functionality that was resolved some time around 10.5 or so. Since I'd only recently updated to 10.4.3, this bug was new to me, and I'm assuming many others.

The work around is you have to update Logic past the 10.4's. That's it. I'm now currently running Logic 10.6.3 and the old functionality of drag and drop works again. SO relieved.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2022 3:19 PM in response to Radarhus

I just got off a lengthy conversation with Apple Care and I have a solution. There is a known bug in Logic 10.4 with audio import functionality that was resolved some time around 10.5 or so. Since I'd only recently updated to 10.4.3, this bug was new to me, and I'm assuming many others.

The work around is you have to update Logic past the 10.4's. That's it. I'm now currently running Logic 10.6.3 and the old functionality of drag and drop works again. SO relieved.

May 15, 2022 2:22 PM in response to JoshuaDanger

Anyone know why the developers of logic are this counter-intuitive

Hi there JD, my conspiracy theory regarding this is that actual coding work is being outsourced somewhere and the result isn't properly beta-tested before rolling out the updates. Cutting costs, in other words.

Anyway, back to your issues, is there a reason for you to stick to 10.4.3 version of Logic? I'd guess running macOS Catalina you can now upgrade to at least 10.5.1. I'd suggest to back up the current version by zipping its app bundle (obviously, you don't need a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this) and update the app to see whether this improves audio file importing. If it doesn't, you could always go back to the backed up 10.4.3 version, right?

Import Audio File is completely unusable now - WHY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.