Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a PrintShop that is compatible with Mac-Catalina OS? I work for a school and do the marketing, therefore in need of an Upgraded PrintShop - if not, any idea of when there might be one coming out?

Is there a PrintShop that is compatible with Mac-Catalina OS? I work for a school and do the marketing, therefore in need of an Upgraded PrintShop - if not, any idea of when there might be one coming out?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 6:41 AM

I have this question , also. All of my cards, charts, recipes and letters are no longer visible.

Totally lost until I and upgrade Print Shop. When will they have the upgrade for Catalina users available?

113 replies

Oct 22, 2019 2:21 AM in response to crazzy44

For what it's worth, the Mackiev website was updated with a "Catalina is here" banner. For The Print Shop 4, if you fill out the form, it states:

macOS Catalina compatibility update coming soon

We are currently working on a compatibility update for your edition of The Print Shop. We will let you know by email as soon as this free update is ready.

Jan 30, 2020 6:16 AM in response to KareKare007

• This from October on another thread:-

Notice that there are two different companies that sell a product called "The Print Shop"

The one you have, is the one originally sold under the Broderbund name - and is the one that you see on the App Store.

However, there is another product, also named The Print Shop, sold by Software Mackiev. 

Check it out - https://www.mackiev.com/printshop4/index.html

Both provide the classic greeting cards/signs/place cards/whatever else that kind of software might do.

The two products have similar results, but I don't think they share the same UI at all.

I've been using Software Mackiev's Print Shop for probably 10 years. It's at version 4.0.1

However, despite being a "major" update, released less than 2 years ago, it remains 32-bit software. I have had some conversation with Software Mackiev support about what the future holds. All I get is "we will decide if any change is needed"

BUT, I also remember reading somewhere that "The Print Shop" name has had some legal challenges, at least two companies claim to use the name, and that is perhaps blocking update progress. I don't know what's going to happen about that.

You might also find out that "The Print Shop" from Software Mackiev may not be available for sale, except to official educational institutions. This is possibly related to the legal problems with using the name. I'm not sure about that, and I have done a bit of searching about court cases, and similar kinds of news. It's not easy to find

Bottom line: right now, The Print Shop (wherever you get it) stops working on Macs with Catalina. I like Print Shop, using it for more than 30 years, since Commodore 64 days.

Try complaining directly to the support site for whichever Print Shop you use . Maybe it only needs one more person to get things moving.

Oct 29, 2019 6:33 PM in response to Robina12

I have spent the past two days talking to Apple, Adobe and Photoshop, all I hear is that you have to talk to the developer. my Adobe Reader is down, I was told by Adobe to upgrade to Adobe Acrobat, all I can find is you have to pay..... All of my printshop projects are blocked from being opened because it say: Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file. No one can tell me what the correlation is between Printshop and Photoshop. Once again, contact the App Developer! Grrrrrrr Wish I had researched Catalina before I upgraded!

Oct 29, 2019 7:38 PM in response to Cah1019

When you double-click on a document in the Finder, it will try to open it with the appropriate application. Pre-Catalina, that would have been Print Shop for Print Shop documents.

With Catalina, launching Print Shop is not an option, so it probably asked you to select another application to open it. I don’t think any other app can open a Print Shop-format document, so trying to use any other program, including Adobe Photoshop, will result in an error.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is different situation. I don’t use it, but it looks like they have a version compatible with Catalina, according to a post in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat-Reader/Acrobat-Reader-on-macos-10-15-installation-fails/td-p/10511076

Oct 31, 2019 2:14 PM in response to Robina12

I am looking for an alternative way to open these .psf files. I also didn't research this enough before upgrading to Catalina. Everything I have works fine EXCEPT Printshop. I just spoke to Broderbund and they said that they are introducing a new Print Shop later this year or early next year and all Print Shop MacKiev files will NOT be supported. Not sure the lady had the correct info but she sounded like she knew what was happening at Broderbund and that they were taking back Print Shop but she did not know if MacKiev was doing anything to support the old programs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.