Question:

Question: iTunes remote for iPhone dont work with Catalina

How do you get iTunes remote for iPhone to work i Catalina ?

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 8, 2019 9:37 PM in response to welafever In response to welafever

Yes well the point is, you can connect and you can browse, you just can’t control music with the remote app.

i am well aware that music is a new app, I just find it strange that Apple would remove an extremely useful function like that.

Oct 10, 2019 12:43 AM in response to bofromoslo In response to bofromoslo

I utilize my remote for iTunes EVERY DAY as iTunes has run daily for the past 18 years!!! I need a remote and am NOT happy that Apple or the 3rd party hasn’t thought ahead!!! Come in, you are Apple, not Microsoft!! Act like it!!!

Oct 10, 2019 11:25 PM in response to cliff165 In response to cliff165

Thanks for your reply, the home sharing function is not a replacement for the remote.

Whit the remote you control your Mac and it functions like an always on stereo, you can browse your music library and you can control volume on individual loudspeakers and homepods.

Home sharing streams your Macs music library to your iPhone/iPad etc. and lack the extra functionality of the remote app.

You will have to then re-stream via airplay from your iPhone to the HomePod and other loudspeakers to get the same controls.

It’s a solution, but not a good one, because iPhone and battery 😉

The iTunes remote was an elegant solution and i realy hope Apple is working on a solution to make it work again.

Bets regards

Bo

Oct 11, 2019 5:59 AM in response to cliff165 In response to cliff165

Unfortunately the "iPhone music" app is buggy compared to the simple, light-weight, and responsive Remote app. I have 1662 Albums (23400 Songs) in my library, stored on my iMac. Remote would start up in a flash from my iPhone or iPad and present a streamlined purpose built interface for quick scrolling through all of it. It was fast as light. (Still is fast as light, but the Play buttons don't work anymore, now that Catalina/Music has broken it). When I try to use the Music app + Home Sharing, it takes over 5 minutes to load the library, the artwork doesn't seem to ever cache so then it takes more time to load that, and it seems to forget the artwork when I scroll past it and so reloads it again as I'm trying to navigate, causing the interface to stutter. Further more, Playlist based on rules seem to be broken. Playlists assembled "manually" display properly but the rules based lists show the entire library as their contents. In principle, the Music app + Home Sharing might be a solution, but it won't be until it's as fast, fluid and reliable as Remote was.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 8, 2019 9:37 PM in response to welafever In response to welafever

Yes well the point is, you can connect and you can browse, you just can’t control music with the remote app.

i am well aware that music is a new app, I just find it strange that Apple would remove an extremely useful function like that.

Oct 8, 2019 9:37 PM

Reply Helpful (12)

Oct 10, 2019 12:43 AM in response to bofromoslo In response to bofromoslo

I utilize my remote for iTunes EVERY DAY as iTunes has run daily for the past 18 years!!! I need a remote and am NOT happy that Apple or the 3rd party hasn’t thought ahead!!! Come in, you are Apple, not Microsoft!! Act like it!!!

Oct 10, 2019 12:43 AM

Reply Helpful (11)

Oct 10, 2019 10:49 PM in response to rmwhit In response to rmwhit

It appears that the "iPhone iTunes remote app" functionality has been moved to the "iPhone Music App". Select the Music app on your iPhone, then choose "Library" then navigate down to and choose "Home Sharing". Your "old iTunes" Library including all music and playlists should be accessible there. Which assumably is the new Library created by the new " Mac OS Music app". Make sure you have authorized your Mac via "Music" and home sharing is turned on.

Oct 10, 2019 10:49 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 10, 2019 11:25 PM in response to cliff165 In response to cliff165

Thanks for your reply, the home sharing function is not a replacement for the remote.

Whit the remote you control your Mac and it functions like an always on stereo, you can browse your music library and you can control volume on individual loudspeakers and homepods.

Home sharing streams your Macs music library to your iPhone/iPad etc. and lack the extra functionality of the remote app.

You will have to then re-stream via airplay from your iPhone to the HomePod and other loudspeakers to get the same controls.

It’s a solution, but not a good one, because iPhone and battery 😉

The iTunes remote was an elegant solution and i realy hope Apple is working on a solution to make it work again.

Bets regards

Bo

Oct 10, 2019 11:25 PM

Reply Helpful (11)

Oct 10, 2019 11:50 PM in response to bofromoslo In response to bofromoslo

Thanks for your reply. I too am a daily user of the Remote App to control and play music throughout our home. On my iPhone, (Catalina and iOS 13) all of the functionality that existed in the remote app to control and play music from my Mac now exists in the "iPhone music" app, including directing play back to our Apple TVs and wireless speakers on the network. iPhone battery is not an issue as the app is directing the music over the network directly from my mac to the playback device, in the same way that the remote app used to. The "remote app" now seems to just work for controlling Apple TVs, although you can use it to view your mac music library, but not play it. This is what I am experiencing so... hope this helps.

Best, Cliff

Oct 10, 2019 11:50 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Oct 11, 2019 4:20 AM in response to bofromoslo In response to bofromoslo

For now, if you have a Mac as well as an iPhone, you can use screen sharing. Actually screen sharing provides full functionality and control in contrast to just iTunes control. No, this does not solve the issue for iPhones but hopefully Apple will address this quickly.

Oct 11, 2019 4:20 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 11, 2019 5:59 AM in response to cliff165 In response to cliff165

Unfortunately the "iPhone music" app is buggy compared to the simple, light-weight, and responsive Remote app. I have 1662 Albums (23400 Songs) in my library, stored on my iMac. Remote would start up in a flash from my iPhone or iPad and present a streamlined purpose built interface for quick scrolling through all of it. It was fast as light. (Still is fast as light, but the Play buttons don't work anymore, now that Catalina/Music has broken it). When I try to use the Music app + Home Sharing, it takes over 5 minutes to load the library, the artwork doesn't seem to ever cache so then it takes more time to load that, and it seems to forget the artwork when I scroll past it and so reloads it again as I'm trying to navigate, causing the interface to stutter. Further more, Playlist based on rules seem to be broken. Playlists assembled "manually" display properly but the rules based lists show the entire library as their contents. In principle, the Music app + Home Sharing might be a solution, but it won't be until it's as fast, fluid and reliable as Remote was.

Oct 11, 2019 5:59 AM

Reply Helpful (6)

Oct 11, 2019 12:43 PM in response to DUG1138 In response to DUG1138

I totally agree with you DUG113 regarding the IOS Music App vs the IOS Remote App. It is not usable for what Remote did so quickly and elegantly. I just used the link provided above (Apple Feedback) to request they update the Remote App. It's virtually the main interface I used for iTunes (now "Music" under Catalina). I'm a spiritual shambles without it ;-)

Oct 11, 2019 12:43 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Oct 12, 2019 5:11 AM in response to bofromoslo In response to bofromoslo

Steve Jobs is being missed more and more with every year that passes. He made sure that apple employees and contractors paid attention to the details and gave 100%, sadly the company has lost this value and it does not appear to be regaining it anytime soon :-( Catalina has killed the Remote app, so this function is dead for now, but thankfully i have 2 imacs and I will not be upgrading my second which is still operational!

Oct 12, 2019 5:11 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 12, 2019 9:02 AM in response to cliff165 In response to cliff165

What you are describing is not what everyone here is referring to. You have always been able to play music to a single source from an iphone with airplay devices on the same wi-fi network. The problem is not being able to play to multiple airplay devices which is only achievable through the desktop interface in music or the previous version of itunes. This capability has been removed in the Catalina update as the Apple Remote App does not function with catalina. Hopefully this makes sense, but if you do not use multiple airplay speakers in your home you may not understand the situation. Thanks

Oct 12, 2019 9:02 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: bofromoslo

Question: iTunes remote for iPhone dont work with Catalina