Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Under Catalina, my photos are not syncing from my Mac to my iPhone :(

I manage my photos on my Mac, using Photos, and sync a selection to my iOS devices (connected via USB cable). Today, I installed Catalina and the syncing no longer works. I selected the iPhone in the sidebar, set up the syncing criteria, clicked on Apply and then on Sync. My thousands of previously synced photos got wiped from the iPhone and then the syncing ended. This is very bad. I retried a few times, but nothing changed. Any suggestions?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 3:44 PM

I'm going to try to close this thread as the problem and the hoped for bug-fix are discussed at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250716707?page=1

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 8, 2019 6:44 PM in response to LightYear12

I'll keep my eye on this thread, I wonder if the issue/solution with and without the Photos app would be similar. I'm very suspicious now because I had the synching issue with the LATEST iTunes and had to go back a couple of versions in order to sync. I had hoped that Catalina would run smoothly with this but maybe Apple never fixed it and just carried it through from the latest iTunes to Catalina without a fix. Boooo if that is the case.

Very sorry your photos got wiped, that is awful.

Oct 8, 2019 9:34 PM in response to LightYear12

I’m really sorry to hear that.

So, you did not have Time Machined those pictures right?

Did you log in via Apple ID to see if the pictures were there? Did you use the paid storage from iCloud?

Apple (IMHO) has changed a bit over the years. I remember iPhoto being left in the past glory and being forced to use Photos. I understand they might have reasons to do that but for me, it was a bad thing for (at least) me. Things stopped syncing smoothly like before.

The same for iTunes. I remember how efficiently and effectively it all synced (iPod touch, iPad, iPhone). But some years now, we do not get to see that.

I still mourn the loss of some great games I had purchased back in the early times. After the iTunes version that ditched Apps, we could no longer sync Apps that we kept on our Macs, unless it was an App that was still allowed to be installed (also related to the 32-bit to 64-bit transition).

Another great feature gone: I could purchase and download a movie onto the iPhone and then sync via iTunes so I did not have to download the movie twice. But now, purchased and downloaded movies do not get synced to the Mac.

Under Catalina, my photos are not syncing from my Mac to my iPhone :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.