Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Keeps Showing Warning "Source.app Will Damage Your Computer. You Should Move It To The Trash."

Since upgrading to Catalina a few hours ago I have gotten this message at least four times despite always clicking the "move to trash" button and keeping the box checked to "report malware to Apple" and even emptying the trash!

I did not install any software of any kind since upgrading to Catalina so whatever this "source.app" is was present under Mojave. This message is getting very irritating and is becoming reminiscent of the Windows Vista Messenger Service that prompted me to abandon Windows for Mac 12 years ago!!!!

How do I turn it off and make it SHUT UP?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 6:41 PM

Update - I now think that clicking on the move to trash button wasn't actually moving anything to the trash. Since posting the above I have gone into Finder and successfully searched for and found the "source.app" file wherever it happened to be and now dragged it to the trash and emptied the trash so I think it is now gone. I think we can consider this problem resolved but if it does continue to recur I'll post again with another update.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 6:41 PM in response to EMGULS79

Update - I now think that clicking on the move to trash button wasn't actually moving anything to the trash. Since posting the above I have gone into Finder and successfully searched for and found the "source.app" file wherever it happened to be and now dragged it to the trash and emptied the trash so I think it is now gone. I think we can consider this problem resolved but if it does continue to recur I'll post again with another update.

Oct 10, 2019 8:13 PM in response to haixuan1212

Well it has not recurred for me since my last post so I think I did solve it for myself. I am not sure myself whether I might have done some "wrong" things in my initial attempts and I'm not sure just how or where you are searching (Finder? Spotlight search?) but I can tell you that ultimately I did the following:

1) Opened Finder.

2) Typed "source.app" (no quotes) in the search field at the top of Finder.

3) The offending file showed up as the search result and I clicked and dragged it to the trash and then emptied the trash.

Also note - and I don't know whether it is necessary to be able to access this file - but I was using an account with Administrator privileges (which you most likely are if this is your personal Mac and you were the one who initially set it up).

Catalina Keeps Showing Warning "Source.app Will Damage Your Computer. You Should Move It To The Trash."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.