Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Catalina

Experience dedicated apps for music, TV, and podcasts, plus smart new features like Sidecar. Learn how to upgrade >

Question:

Question: iMac keeps crashing after Catalina upgrade

I have a 2019 iMac (Core i9, 64GB of RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 48, 2TB SSD) that I upgraded to Catalina. I thought everything was working fine until I stepped away from my computer for about half an hour and came back to the log in screen; upon logging in, it said my computer had restarted. Submitted the crash report to Apple. I thought it was a glitch. Kept working, then later on, same thing happened. Stepped away, and came back to the same thing. Submitted the crash report to Apple again. Then it happened again. And again. And again. Today, same thing; computer keeps crashing, over and over and over.

I've changed nothing in terms of hardware or software between yesterday and today (or since I set up this iMac a few months ago), except for upgrading to Catalina. Under Mojave, there were no issues.

If anyone has any idea how to resolve this, that would be greatly appreciated!

Below is one of the many, many crash reports, but they all look similar in terms of it seeming to be related to com.apple.WindowServer:

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 9, 2019 7:07 AM in response to mrbofus In response to mrbofus

Same issue here. 2018 MacBook Pro Core i9, 32GB of RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 20, 1TB SSD. Same exact issue when I upgraded to Catalina. I have called Apple twice yesterday and went through several fixes and still produced the same results. I called this morning and the Apple rep refuses to communicate with me. Just hung up. I think they have had a bad night. One rep told me that this is a repeated issue they are facing.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 9, 2019 7:07 AM in response to mrbofus In response to mrbofus

Same issue here. 2018 MacBook Pro Core i9, 32GB of RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 20, 1TB SSD. Same exact issue when I upgraded to Catalina. I have called Apple twice yesterday and went through several fixes and still produced the same results. I called this morning and the Apple rep refuses to communicate with me. Just hung up. I think they have had a bad night. One rep told me that this is a repeated issue they are facing.

Oct 9, 2019 7:07 AM

Reply Helpful (11)

Oct 9, 2019 8:50 AM in response to CreativeJolt In response to CreativeJolt

On the one hand, while I’m sorry to hear that you’re suffering from the same problem, on the other hand, I’m glad that I’m not alone. It gives me hope that if this is a widespread enough issue, that Apple will issue a fix soon. 🤞🤞

I do have external monitors plugged in to my iMac, but so does my Mac mini, and that hasn’t had any restarting issues. I don’t use my MacBook with an external monitor, and that, so far, hasn’t had any restarting issues. Maybe it’s an issue with Radeon Pro Vega cards? I can’t imagine that wasn’t tested prior to general release though...

Oct 9, 2019 8:50 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Oct 9, 2019 9:15 AM in response to juvander In response to juvander

Hopefully Apple will issue a new Radeon Pro Vega driver that will fix the issue for us. Sooner rather than later, ideally. If it were that simple, that would be nice.

I still can’t believe this would have slipped past their testing. It’s not like the Radeon Pro Vega GPUs are uncommon in Apple’s current lineup...

Oct 9, 2019 9:15 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 9, 2019 10:23 AM in response to mrbofus In response to mrbofus

Update from me: I do have 2 27" 4k monitors plugged in and the issue only occurs with the monitors. Radeon Pro Vega driver makes sense. I do have the automatic graphics card switch still turned on so I'll test out the issue with just the Radeon Pro Vega card running without the Intel card.

I have spent the last 2 hours on the phone with Apple support. The new support member confirmed that they are getting new reports of this same issue. Some people reported fixes. They are assuming that my issue is fixed but they are about to get another phone call from me confirming that it's not. Next phone call they promised me that they will pass this onto the engineers if the issue still occurs.

Apple has already released a public notice that there are other bugs that has plagued Catalina but no confirmation of our issue. If you haven't called Apple on this issue yet, may I suggest that you do so. The more complaints the faster this can get resolved.

Oct 9, 2019 10:23 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Oct 9, 2019 10:28 AM in response to CreativeJolt In response to CreativeJolt

Perhaps it's not the Radeon Pro Vega graphics card, maybe it's just a graphics card issue? The reason I'm drawing this conclusion is another feed I joined but no other responses on there.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250714596

I'll see if I can get that user to join in with us here.

Oct 9, 2019 10:28 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 9, 2019 10:53 AM in response to CreativeJolt In response to CreativeJolt

True, I was basing my previous comment on the totally unscientific premise that three of us (so far) all have Radeon Pro Vega cards. Either way, this is a pretty serious issue that should be fixable with a software update from Apple. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Please get as many people with similar issues on here as you can! Also, submit the crash reports to Apple, in addition to feedback via their website.

Oct 9, 2019 10:53 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: mrbofus

Question: iMac keeps crashing after Catalina upgrade