Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OKI 710DN Laser Printer Filter Failure on Mac OS Catalina

Hi last night I upgraded to Catalina after checking that my drivers for all my printers were 64 bit so should work with the new OS anyway after upgrading my work horse ethernet printer no longer works giving me the message "Filter Failure" when I send anything to print. I've tried reseting all printers and scanners in general preferences but the same thing happens. How can I get around this or is the printer done? I hope not as I wouldn't of ran the upgrade at all.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 11:46 PM

Similar questions

23 replies

Oct 16, 2019 1:05 PM in response to Ritchiec80

Here’s something anyone with an Oki printer can try:

1. Go to Oki’s website, look for drivers for your printer.
  2. Choose Linux as your operating system. (Yes I know Mac OS is not Linux. Bear with me).
  3. Download the file described as "PPD file".
  4. Add your Oki printer as new; when prompted for your driver file, choose the .ppd.gz file you downloaded in (3) above.

Works in Mojave, and gives access to most, if not all features. Haven’t tried Catalina but I suspect it’ll work fine.

Oct 16, 2019 1:48 AM in response to Help_Me_Now18

If you have another device that you haven't updated yet, you can possibly use Bonjour to print through the pre-Catalina device (I am successfully doing exactly that). Otherwise I think you'll either have to revert your entire system to Mojave or wait until Nov/December for OKI to update the drivers. It's not the printer driver itself - it is fine - it's one of the files that the driver accesses.You 'should' have been getting messages for the past year that the OKIPSPlugin filter would not be compatible with the new OS. I got this about every two months for the previous year.

Oct 10, 2019 6:37 AM in response to Ritchiec80

Same here, I have an MC873. Filter failure. Log says:

Oct 10 12:18:15 ottoman com.apple.RemotePDEService[10816]: objc[10816]: Class OnlyIntegerValueFormatter is implemented in both /Library/Printers/OKIDATA/PDEs/OKIPSColorOpt.plugin/Contents/MacOS/OKIPSColorOpt (0x10fc55100) and /Library/Printers/OKIDATA/PDEs/OKIPSPrtOpt.plugin/Contents/MacOS/OKIPSPrtOpt (0x10fcd3800). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Oct 10, 2019 7:04 AM in response to Ritchiec80

Wow, on the Japanese OKI site they have a November - December target for the OKI compatible printer drivers! WTF! A year time to prepare was not enough for them! We updated many computers before finding this out, this is really crazy!

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fokidata-ja.custhelp.com%2Fapp%2Fanswers%2Fdetail%2Fa_id%2F28570%2F

As a temporary workaround I found that the generic PS driver works! Douplex works, but I can not use the different paper trays. But hey, at least I can print something!

Oct 11, 2019 12:17 AM in response to Ritchiec80

While the printer driver may be 64 bit, files that it uses may not. I've been getting warnings for my C942 that the OKIPSFilter.plugIn is not optimized for my Mac and needs to be updated. This software will not work with future version of the Mac OS (Catalina). I'm currently installing Catalina on a temporary partition to test it, but we might have to wait for OK Japan to fully update their printer drivers.

Oct 11, 2019 1:20 AM in response to Hugo Stiglitz

In my case bonjour did not work neither which I find strange. I though the bonjour way would be some kind of generic printer driver similar to the generic postscript driver. It could be that it only fails when the native OKI driver is installed as well, but this is just an assumption. In any case, the bonjour driver im 10.14 did not give me access to the different trays and I could not use the toner saver options why I installed the native driver.

Oct 11, 2019 1:29 AM in response to Edd84

@Edd84: you need to set it up a new printer. In that dialog you can select the driver manually. Once done it is not possible to change the driver to something else. You don't need to delete the old configuration if you want to keep it, you can have to different printer configurations for the same printer, no problem.

Oct 14, 2019 9:44 AM in response to Kurt Finkbeiner

You must add a new printer. When it detects your OKI it normally suggests using the Bonjour driver. But this is a drop down where you can select all compatible drivers. Select the generic PS driver from that menu. Once you set up a printer you can not change the driver, however you can have the same printer in two configurations without any problems, just give it a name e.g. "oki workaround" or something ;-)

Oct 16, 2019 8:17 AM in response to Help_Me_Now18

I don't have an option to install a generic printer, so my OKI is definitely not working at all in my office.

Since I have other software problems (time machine not working, VirtualBox crashing, and others appearing day by day) I am about to downgrade to Mojave with a clean installation, even if it's so disappointing.

I always upgraded the OS as soon as possible, next time I will wait at least 2-3 months after new release.

OKI 710DN Laser Printer Filter Failure on Mac OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.