Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard slow in notes in IOS 13.1.2 on iphone7

Just updated to IOS 13.1.2. I have a long note, thousands of characters long, and when I click into it and start typing to add content, each keystroke lags by a large part of a second. Typing several characters in a row takes a few seconds. The problem exists with the American English keyboard, and it also exists with the Chinese pinyin keyboard and the Chinese handwriting keyboard. While handwriting a Chinese character, the handwriting also lags, so that the strokes in the character don't show up in real-time but lag behind my finger by up to a half second or more. In a smaller note, I don't see the lag. Maybe a new bug? There is no lag at all when scrolling up and down in the same note.

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 1:52 AM

I solved my problem by doing this: I copied the content of the note which had the problem and pasted it into a new note. In the new note with the same content, the keyboard doesn't lag. The content in the old note still lags, so that remains unexplained, but it seems the problem isn't due to the note being long.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2019 1:52 AM in response to ckuan

I solved my problem by doing this: I copied the content of the note which had the problem and pasted it into a new note. In the new note with the same content, the keyboard doesn't lag. The content in the old note still lags, so that remains unexplained, but it seems the problem isn't due to the note being long.

Oct 9, 2019 11:54 PM in response to ckuan

It is a long note. But it worked fine in IOS 12 and IOS 11 and IOS 10 and...

This is a new problem in IOS 13.1.2. I'm trying to imagine what the app is

doing on each keystroke that would take so long.

Another piece of information: Deleting characters in the note one by

one, with the backspace key, also lags a lot. But selecting a block of

text and deleting it all at once is quick. Copy and pasting a block of

text is also quick. It seems more like a problem with the keyboard

behavior, not the note itself.

Oct 28, 2019 2:01 PM in response to jamesfrompleasanton

I noticed that this lag is directly related to the amount of edits, not the length of the notes. I keep the note length short, but edit a lot, and the lag started to become more and more noticeable. As noted, copy and paste solved the issue, so i will assume It's somehow failing to release all "editing history" or something similar, but it take a lot of editing to become noticeable...

Nov 2, 2019 7:28 AM in response to jamesfrompleasanton

This too is driving me crazy and it is 100% the new update . It is making me want to leave Apple because I’m constantly texting and searching things on Google and the lag is unbearable it’s to the point where I’ve been using the talk to text on almost everything and that does not lag at all so it is definitely the keyboard you’re 100% right and what you’re saying it is the keyboard and it is the update on the phone

keyboard slow in notes in IOS 13.1.2 on iphone7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.