Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive won't sync or not showing files

I stumbled into this issue after installing macOS Catalina from usb drive as clean install, then synching with my iCloud account.

Apparently Photos do not suffer this problem so it isn't a real network issue but more like a protocol communication issue.

After leaving my MacBook Pro all night lit in attempt to synchronize my iCloud Drive, this is how folder (~/Library/Mobile Documents) appear from terminal:

but this is how it appear from Finder

I spent 1 hour with Apple Support and they remotely guided me into several attempt to disconnect and reconnect iCloud account in order to make it sync, but nothing really worked.

If u incurred on same issue leave a post here in order to alert community about the severity of this issue.

/GM

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 2:03 AM

After searching several workaround nothing works, but I fortunately got synched doing these steps, I cannot guarantee this work same for other peoples have same issue.

1. Get Safari and connect to https://icloud.com
  2. Log into with same iCloud account you are using on ur Mac
  3. Select iCloud Drive icon and enter
  4. On top right corner select your account name drop down menu and click on Settings
  5. Once there u should first check your Mac is present under My Devices (if it doesn't the only thing worked for me was reinstalling everything)
  6. Now on same page go down under Advanced > Restore File (see pic below)
  7. After few seconds of showing recoverable files my iCloud Drive started to sync

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 2:03 AM in response to V4NH0RN3

After searching several workaround nothing works, but I fortunately got synched doing these steps, I cannot guarantee this work same for other peoples have same issue.

1. Get Safari and connect to https://icloud.com
  2. Log into with same iCloud account you are using on ur Mac
  3. Select iCloud Drive icon and enter
  4. On top right corner select your account name drop down menu and click on Settings
  5. Once there u should first check your Mac is present under My Devices (if it doesn't the only thing worked for me was reinstalling everything)
  6. Now on same page go down under Advanced > Restore File (see pic below)
  7. After few seconds of showing recoverable files my iCloud Drive started to sync

Nov 4, 2019 3:13 PM in response to V4NH0RN3

After further investigation I discovered that iCloud Drive sync is working in background even if u don't see any spinning loader icon or iCloud Drive folder appear as initial configuration.

You can verify that iCloud is synching doing following checks:

1. going under ~/Library/Application Support/CloudDocs run command 'du -h' and check if total space is growing.
  2. looking console log with 'brctl log --wait'

Consider I got 1 full day to sync may Mac folder with iCloud.

Oct 10, 2019 8:10 AM in response to V4NH0RN3

Thanks for your clear instructions on what needed to be done. However, it didn't work for me. Following your procedure resulted in only three measly files showed up whereas my entire Documents folder disappeared from the iMac after upgrading to Catalina. Fortunately all the files still show up in iCloud Drive. Should I just drag the Documents folders from my iCloud Drive to my iMac or is there a way to sync the Documents folders from iCloud Drive to the Mac?

Oct 10, 2019 8:57 AM in response to Mateen

It's happen to me before and I've spent hours with Apple on the phone... basically, they have no clue about it. Every big upgrade creates problems with Apple's iCloud files.

When Mojave came out I lost all my iCloud stored documents. I had Apple Care on the phone with en empty iCloud and showing full storage and they couldn't figure out what it was... for the record, they offered no solution other than buying more storage space!

Oct 10, 2019 9:57 AM in response to Mateen

Yes... they blamed me for not having a back up! Apparently we need a back up for the computer, another back up from the cloud and a back up for the back up... they would still not guarantee you wouldn't loose all your data after upgrading... I draw a line with Catalina and I give up on Apple. Good luck to you all!

Oct 12, 2019 1:15 AM in response to Mateen

I did a clean install not an upgrade but I think my solution should work both unless u did something strange in ur iCloud Drive folder (which is in ur home/Library/Mobile Documents/). In that case consider to reset it first from ur Settings by logging out from iCloud then rebooting and again login. Doing that I wasn’t able to synch immediately, I had to proceed with my previously described procedure to make it start synch.

Not sure this work for everyone but we don’t have an official solution workaround atm.

Nov 3, 2019 12:50 PM in response to V4NH0RN3

I'm having the problem with iCloud Drive files not syncing as well. I tried this solution, but it didn't work for me. Neither have any of the solutions I've seen here so far, including logging in and out of iCloud, turning iCloud Drive off then on, adding Documents and iCloud Drive to the sidebar of Finder. None of these worked, files on iCloud Drive still don't sync immediately when an update is made to it. 10.15.1 update didn't fix this problem either.

Nov 19, 2019 9:44 PM in response to V4NH0RN3

This worked perfectly. My iCloud Drive folder was visible in the Finder sidebar but only contained empty Documents and Desktop folders. I was missing nearly 200Gb of files. The Restore Files link opened a dialogue that displayed recently deleted files from apps that use my iCloud Drive—this was not at all what I needed—however after about 20-30 seconds, all of my iCloud Drive file structure appeared in Finder and my Desktop was instantly covered in files. Thanks V4NH0RN3!

iCloud Drive won't sync or not showing files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.