Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud documents not syncing in macOS Catalina

I did a factory reset of MacBook Air (2017) and it has the latest macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 update. But after resetting my MacBook, the iCloud has stopped syncing. It was working fine before the reset. Now the photos are syncing fine but the documents and folders are not able to sync. Other than this, the files or folders that I create on desktop are also not being uploaded to iCloud. I have tried signing out of iCloud and logging again but it didn't work. Also I created a test folder on iCloud through browser to solve the handshake problem but that didn't work either. I have tried restarting the Mac several times now. But nothing seems to work. Please let me know if there's a solution for this.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 1:43 AM

Hey namanmanchanda!

i have seen something similar lately.

To confirm, you are syncing Desktop and Documents with iCloud Drive?

If the server status’ are up and running:

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

And other data is syncing as you said, I found recently that disabling iCloud Drive from System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud, (Whether to keep a copy is optional, usually a good idea if you don’t already have a copy, but uses space to not copy if you have A copy already.

Once disabled, restart the Mac, turn on iCloud Drive again, (As well as Desktop and Documents, click “Options” to do that), then just give it some time to download, even over night.

I’ve also found after re enabling it, adjusting the energy saver preferences to “wake for network access, and enable power nap” as well as leaving the display on in the same settings helped,

I’m not sure how much data it is, and/or if it is or not syncing fine on other devices, and/or is the same on another network, but if so, this has worked with me recently, (On Catalina).

Good luck!

Of course, if it happens on any network and is working fine on your other devices, I’d give this a try, it seems simple but worked for me.

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 1:43 AM in response to namanmanchanda

Hey namanmanchanda!

i have seen something similar lately.

To confirm, you are syncing Desktop and Documents with iCloud Drive?

If the server status’ are up and running:

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

And other data is syncing as you said, I found recently that disabling iCloud Drive from System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud, (Whether to keep a copy is optional, usually a good idea if you don’t already have a copy, but uses space to not copy if you have A copy already.

Once disabled, restart the Mac, turn on iCloud Drive again, (As well as Desktop and Documents, click “Options” to do that), then just give it some time to download, even over night.

I’ve also found after re enabling it, adjusting the energy saver preferences to “wake for network access, and enable power nap” as well as leaving the display on in the same settings helped,

I’m not sure how much data it is, and/or if it is or not syncing fine on other devices, and/or is the same on another network, but if so, this has worked with me recently, (On Catalina).

Good luck!

Of course, if it happens on any network and is working fine on your other devices, I’d give this a try, it seems simple but worked for me.

Hope that helps!

iCloud documents not syncing in macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.