Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina installation stucked due "not enough space" - restart not possible, no startup volume

Model: MacbookPro Mid 2017, 128 GB HD

Catalina installion stucked due insufficent space.

Restart with previous Mojave OS is not possible because I can't select any startup volume - (it is not there to select).

If I do a restart (without selecting any startv olume) anyway, it tries to install Catalina again and stops immediately with the message "no enough disk space".

Tried recovery mode, disk repair (no errors found). Nothing helped.

No TimeMachine backup available.

Tried also to reinstall mojave via recovery mode. Did not work either due "not enough space".

Tried to clone the macintosh HD to an external HD: Did not work due OSS Error.

What can I do?

Macintosh HD say it is almost full - with 100GB of data, but this can't be true. The HD is max 30GB full of space

Is there a way to delete (maybe some cache/ temp) files on the macintosh HD - maybe via terminal in recovery mode?

thanks!

Tino

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 9:52 AM

Problem solved:

1. I installed Mojave on an external drive and booted from this external drive.
  2. Running the Mac again, I saved my files from the macintosh HD (internal HD) to the external device.
  3. After that I deleted the macintosh HD (internal HD) completly and installed Mojave again.
  4. After this I updated to Catalina and copied back my saved files from the external HD.

Hope this work around helps others with the same issue.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 9:52 AM in response to Tino Seeber

Problem solved:

1. I installed Mojave on an external drive and booted from this external drive.
  2. Running the Mac again, I saved my files from the macintosh HD (internal HD) to the external device.
  3. After that I deleted the macintosh HD (internal HD) completly and installed Mojave again.
  4. After this I updated to Catalina and copied back my saved files from the external HD.

Hope this work around helps others with the same issue.

Catalina installation stucked due "not enough space" - restart not possible, no startup volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.