Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods disconnect after Catalina update

Since updating to Catalina, my AirPods won't stay connected to my MacBook Pro. To try troubleshooting I've:

• Reset my AirPods
  • Connected/Disconnected from Bluetooth
  • Turned Bluetooth on/off
  • Reset PRAM
  • Reset SMC
  • Restarted the laptop
  • Turned laptop on/off
  • Trashed the audio and Bluetooth preferences
  • Signed out/back in to iCloud
  • Reinstalled Catalina

I figured a reinstall would get it working, but alas it did not. The AirPods will connect for maybe 5 minutes and then the audio switches back to the internal speakers. The AirPods worked perfectly on Mojave, and still work perfectly on my iPhone.

Any other tips/fixes?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 11:03 AM

96 replies

Jan 7, 2020 11:42 AM in response to DC_NY

I solve reseting PRAM

I turned off my macbook then I followed this steps:

• Turn macbook on
  • Press the following keys Command + Option + P + R
  • The macbook will play the startup sound and keep pressing
  • The mac will play the sound again and restart
  • Stop pressing
  • When mac boots again should be working

Here's the link where I found this solution

https://www.ikream.com/how-to-fix-problems-with-bluetooth-on-macos-catalina-36499

Nov 1, 2019 2:00 PM in response to DC_NY

Same problem here. Macbook Air early 2014 with Airpods 1st gen disconnecting randomly when listening to music or podcasts.

In my case, I'm trying to reproduce the problem with others bluetooth devices disconnected (including the Wi-fi signal) - that was a Apple's Support recommendation. Until now, the airpods are working as expected, but the testing will continue...

Nov 8, 2019 9:36 AM in response to DC_NY

I deleted the bluetooth plist file, per https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macos-catalina-problems/, restarted the Mac, then opened the airpod case next to the Mac and waited. It showed up, I clicked connect, and it has stayed connected now, instead of immediately disconnecting like it was doing.

Was on Apple Support for 45 mins on chat telling my life story taking forever. Support wanted me to zap SMC and NVRAM, but I tried deleting the plist first and restarting and that's what's worked for me.

Dec 4, 2019 10:26 AM in response to douglasb

I was able to narrow what for sure causing issues in my case. It happens when software, that use sound outputs/inputs, starts to use audio device. In my case there are Skype and Slack, even Mail app sometimes when notification tone is played. Also starting VirtualBox machine with enabled sound component breaks connection. Just to be clear, in my case connection is not dropped, AirPods are still connected, but input is switched to internal speakers, and it is not possible to switch back to AirPods (just getting speaker animation for couple seconds doing nothing) until disconnecting them and connecting back again.

Dec 11, 2019 11:01 PM in response to DC_NY

To everyone who is having the same issue here, I used to have the same issue with my Airpods Pro. But I finally found that it was because a software called "Typeeto" on my Macbook for my case.

"Typeeto" is a bluetooth assistant that can let me type anything via bluetooth from my mac to my paired iOS devices(my iOS devices were paired with my Mac beforehand).

So I tried all the reset steps on both my Macbook and my Airpods Pro, but nothing helped. So I ran into Activity Monitor and search for any process comes with "bluetooth" or "blu" or "tooth". Then I finally found "Typeeto bluetooth service". After I terminate this process, I can connect my Airpods Pro to my Macbook without any problem and the sound keeps playing in my Airpods pro and never stops anymore.

If you have the same issue, please also pay attention to any bluetooth software running in background. Shut them down and see if this fix your problem.

Dec 17, 2019 7:53 AM in response to DC_NY

I'm back again. After 10.15.2, no change. The airpods will not stay connected. I have tried all the remedies and none work now. On 10.15.1, I was able to get them to stay connected for a few days after deleting bluetooth plist and rebooting and repairing, but now even that does not seem to work. Maybe an exact order of operations is needed but no luck as of right now. Tech support has no answers at the present.

Dec 17, 2019 8:22 AM in response to douglasb

I got my case escalated to engineering and have a call later today. I would suggest EVERYONE with this issue to get on chat, do the same stupid steps or tell them they are already done, and persist, and get escalated to senior level, and then right through to engineering where they call you. If we all do that, we can get this ironed out.

I can connect my $14 chinese bluetooth headphones that have 7 hours of battery life no prob. But I can't connect my $150 airpods for one minute...on a computer designed by the same company. That is amazing. Amazing!!!!

Jan 4, 2020 1:16 PM in response to dotpinheiro

I'm having the same issues on a 2018 15" Macbook Pro on Catalina with the Airpods Pro as well as with the Powerbeats Pro. Non-Apple bluetooth headphones have no issues. I've tried everything highlighted in this thread, and also tried signing out my iCloud account, which saw the same issues.

Does anyone have any updates or ideas of what else to try?

The 2018 with Apple headphones is the only scenario where I'm running into these issues. 2012 Retina Macbook Pro, 2018 iPad Pro, and Apple TV 4k all stay connected just fine, as do non-Apple devices.

AirPods disconnect after Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.