Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 8.2 not launching first time

I've just upgraded to 10.14.6 and at first all seemed to be fine. Then I noticed that Pages (latest version - 8.2) has started to launch inconsistently. Mostly it quits on launch, maybe 3 - 4 times then opens normally. It will then work/open OK - until I quit the app, when the launch-quit-launch-quit cycle starts all over again.

Anyone know what's going on here - and how can I fix it?

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 7:03 PM

Not binning the Caches contents — only that specific Pages folder that I mentioned.

I am running 10.14.6 (18G103) and Pages v8.2 just launches briskly on a Late-2013 iMac with internal SSD.

Three last steps, and then I am out of suggestions:

1. Download the free Malwarebytes for Mac which is solely used to detect and remove malware. It is not an anti-virus tool.
  2. Move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist to your Desktop, and launch Pages again. If no change, then step 3.
  3. Move the folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Pages to your Desktop, and then launch Pages. That folder will get recreated by Pages when it launches.

If none of these last three steps work, then I am out of suggestions.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2019 7:03 PM in response to citroenDS

Not binning the Caches contents — only that specific Pages folder that I mentioned.

I am running 10.14.6 (18G103) and Pages v8.2 just launches briskly on a Late-2013 iMac with internal SSD.

Three last steps, and then I am out of suggestions:

1. Download the free Malwarebytes for Mac which is solely used to detect and remove malware. It is not an anti-virus tool.
  2. Move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist to your Desktop, and launch Pages again. If no change, then step 3.
  3. Move the folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Pages to your Desktop, and then launch Pages. That folder will get recreated by Pages when it launches.

If none of these last three steps work, then I am out of suggestions.

Oct 17, 2019 10:07 AM in response to citroenDS

Ensure that Pages is not running. Click on the Desktop to get the Finder's attention. Press shift+command+G to open the Go To Folder dialog, and paste the following into it:

~/Library/Caches

This will open a Finder window inside your local Library Caches folder. Look for a folder with a Pages icon on it. It will be named com.apple.iWork.Pages. Drag that specific bundle (aka folder) to the Trash. Close the Finder window, and then launch Pages again. Any change in its launch behavior? Pages will recreate the com.apple.iWork.Pages folder.

If the above does not resolve the launch issues, I would reboot into Safe Boot mode by pressing and holding the shift key until the progress bar appears. This will be a slower boot process. Once signed in, see if Pages launches differently. Then, follow with a normal reboot, and try Pages once more. Did you observe any behavioral changes during, and after the Safe boot process?

Lastly, if you are running any anti-virus product, you should remove it entirely per the vendor's instructions as it can be impacting Pages behavior. Same removal for any so-called Mac "cleaner" products which are known to be overly aggressive with needed application bundle contents. Reinstalling Pages is a waste of time, as the issue is on your Mac.

Oct 9, 2019 2:50 PM in response to citroenDS

If Pages crashes or hanges on you, the usual fix, assuming no other issues exist, is to press and hold the shift key when launching it, then open or create your document. This is only needed once after the hang or crash event.

If you have deactivated, or removed fonts that Pages requires, then you will have to use Font Book to Restore Standard Fonts…

Oct 17, 2019 9:46 AM in response to citroenDS

I was hoping that this was a common bug, with an easy workaround - but that appears not to be the case.

It's now taking probably 4-6 goes every time now to launch Pages successfully, and the only way to get round that is to never quit the app.

Any idea what it might be, and how to fix it?

Keynote (latest version, downloaded at the same time) works fine.

Pages 8.2 not launching first time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.