Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CATALINA: MAIL PREFERENCES SIGNATURE WINDOW STUCK AND BLANK

How to unstick the preferences window on signature page of Catalina. Before it got stuck, the page was beyond the "default signature" line so I couldn't set it. Also in classic look, I couldn't get the type face to stick and some wouldn't use some of the fonts. Very buggy! Help!

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 8:37 AM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2019 3:09 PM in response to thesearch1212

Hi thesearch1212,

Thanks for the post. As I understand it, your macOS Mail app seems to be unresponsive in the Preferences window; is that correct?

If so, try clicking Apple menu () > Force Quit, and then use that menu to force Mail to quit: How to force an app to quit on your Mac

Then, hold Shift on your keyboard and click the Mail icon on your Dock; this will bypass the saved state the app was last in, and should help you to re-open the app.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, it might help to click Apple menu () > Restart and test again.

You mentioned an issue in Classic layout as well. When you say you can't get the type face to stick and it won't use some of the fonts, what exactly is happening?

Cheers!

Oct 14, 2019 4:26 PM in response to thesearch1212

Hi thesearch1212,

Thanks for replying. You might try clicking Apple menu () > System Preferences > General, and then setting "Show scroll bars" to Always for this purpose. You should then be able to see the scroll bars in order to locate the signature you're looking for. You can always adjust that setting back after if you like.

Regarding the differences in Classic format, you can always send your feedback directly to Apple using this link: Product Feedback

Take care.

Oct 14, 2019 3:34 PM in response to cp from OH

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I did get the frozen preference window pane to work by doing this:

Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Highlight all the contents.

Then right-click and choose "New Folder with Selection”. Do not move the new folder from this current location.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac and test

BUT.. I can't use default on my signature page because I had about 50 different quotes / signatures and the page is long and there is no way to shorten the page (no slide bar on the side) to get to the button for default. Can you help on this?

Also, I like Classic format for incoming mail and I have not been able to change the font with some space between the messages. Also, not being able to move the columns is not a good change.

CATALINA: MAIL PREFERENCES SIGNATURE WINDOW STUCK AND BLANK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.