You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off long press context menu?

Hi. I have an iPhone SE and iPhone 6S. I updated both to ios 13.1.2 and so far all seems ok.

Is it possible to disable the long press on the home screen icons that brings up the context menu? I recall long pressing just made all the icons wiggle and movable. I realize that if you wait a bit you can move it or if you select rearrange icons from context menu you can move it but just wondering if I can disable the context menu/haptic click all together.

The iphone 6s allows you to turn off 3d touch in settings/accessiblity/touch but this does not seem to affect haptic touch/context menu. The iphone SE doesn't offer any related settings as far as I can see in accessibility. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 9:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 8:18 AM

Apparently everybody hates that menu but Apple, in their dictatorial righteousness, won’t let users disable it because it’s considered an integral part of the OS that extends ease of use. How about considering it an annoyance that’s ruining the ability to edit in email, notes, and a lot other apps. I never thought I’d reach this point but I’m ready to dump my iPhone and iPad in favor of android devices. I don’t think Apple really gives a crap about what “we” want but I literally live on my IOS devices typing and editing all day as a function of my job and it’s become so difficult to edit, dictate, or edit the address/search box in Safari that I spend a good portion of the day cursing at my iPhone.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2019 8:18 AM in response to Dannyssek

Apparently everybody hates that menu but Apple, in their dictatorial righteousness, won’t let users disable it because it’s considered an integral part of the OS that extends ease of use. How about considering it an annoyance that’s ruining the ability to edit in email, notes, and a lot other apps. I never thought I’d reach this point but I’m ready to dump my iPhone and iPad in favor of android devices. I don’t think Apple really gives a crap about what “we” want but I literally live on my IOS devices typing and editing all day as a function of my job and it’s become so difficult to edit, dictate, or edit the address/search box in Safari that I spend a good portion of the day cursing at my iPhone.

Dec 13, 2019 10:23 AM in response to Demo

Yeah, like that. It certainly seems more like a feature cooked up by bored product designers rather than customers. Nevertheless, if customers like it—fine. Those of us who don't like it should be permitted to disable it. I have an elderly, vision-impaired, arthritic mother who occasionally can't tap icons on her iPad quite right. Now that this menu comes up, she's more confused than ever. It is profoundly un-helpful in her situation, and in fact creates an impediment to her being able to use her device as well as a royal pain in the a** for me, her "tech guy."

Turn off long press context menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.