Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina SMB problem

I have issue after updating to macOS Catalina Version 10.15 on macbook pro 2017.

I have a network drive(HD) connected to a router using SMB:// Fritz-nas

This has always connected automatically and is primarily used as a music . Since the update this has been unavailable and if I try to connect I get the error :

"There was a problem connecting to the server "ServerName". The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

If I try to browse it shows the drive but will not connect. This is shared with a Windows 10 machine and that can connect as normal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 10:14 AM

53 replies

Jan 30, 2020 2:39 PM in response to LibertyWarrior

Apple is not here to read your thinly disguised epithets. Please address them via https://www.apple.com/feedback/ though it would be more productive if you defined the problem for them there rather than using your post as a rant

A quasi-technical answer to removing support for old protocols is that security holes may be insoluble in old versions, so the industry moves on. Upgrade your NAS firmware if you have not done so already, and work from there

Jan 10, 2020 10:35 AM in response to wolfmax03

I faced same issue with Samba shares today. After migrating my old profile from High Sierra to Catalina, noticed that all my Samba shares stopped working, with the exception of one that was mapped through a static IP address. Rest of shares that required DNS resolution didn't. So I tried everything mentioned in this thread nothing worked.

I then deleted one of the saved shares and created a new one, filling the same network information as before, and noticed the new saved shares had a different icon as before (see pic). The protocol was also determined automatically as I was typing "smb" in the input field.

In a nutshell, the Samba shares need to be recreated, after deleting the old ones. If they show the old way, which is a small blue-ish icon, they won't work (it seems the OS don't even use Samba to attempt to connect to the remote share).

They need to show as gray squared storage icon. See pic below (the first 2 work, the 3rd won't):

Hope this helps someone.

Oct 18, 2019 7:45 AM in response to wolfmax03

I have a similar question posted in the Desktop area. My iMac keeps asking "You are attempting to connect to server xyz" with option to Cancel/Connect, but then fails to connect. I presume it is the same issue. It does not stop presenting this message which is very annoying. Do you have the same prompt? Have you been able to find a solution already? My server (Netgear Stora) does seem to connect through finder using the AFP:// connection, but this does not prevent the message from showing up. Regards, Henk

Nov 11, 2019 3:42 PM in response to byMarto

Check you NAS is broadcasting the correct Bonjour credentials.

You may need to reboot NAS, Router and Mac at some point in this battle (that started with Catalina for many of us). Choose a logical order if so. I'd want the router back first the NAS second and the Mac third

You might also want to add your NAS to your login items in system preferences

Dec 7, 2019 9:19 PM in response to wolfmax03

I was not able to connect my year 2011 iMac to my year 2019 iMac that was running Catalina. Prior to the upgrade to Catalina, I had no issues in this regard. I set both iMacs to use SMB rather than AFP. This in itself did not solve the issue. I then powered down both computers and my router. I then powered up my router, then I powered up the year 2011 iMac, and then finally I powered up my year 2019 iMac. I was then able to connect via Finder on my year 2019 iMac by clicking on Network in the sidebar of Finder and then I selected the year 2011 iMac. I then entered my computer password in the pop-up window.

Dec 21, 2019 8:29 PM in response to Swamphick

I have tried all sorts of stuff to get this to remain connected and I have yet to find something that works. I get error's that it cannot connect. Now this is not perfect, but it works. Once it respawn's everything works as it should. The problem with is I only get 24-ish hours before it craps out. What we need is a real fix for this. Whether it's SMB or AFP neither holds a connection to the NAS. Now in my instance I'm using a 2017 Netgear ReadyNAS 424. Bottom line, it works.

Dec 23, 2019 1:07 PM in response to don hull

Since macOS was updated to 10.15.2 I have the same problem with SMB shares, every ~24 hours I can't reconnect the SMB shares from a Qnap, the only fix I found is to reboot my mac (that's very annoying!) Restarting SMB service on the NAS or rebooting it didn't help and, as I said, the problem began after macOS was updated from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2, I never experienced such a problem before.

Dec 29, 2019 11:54 AM in response to wolfmax03

I have been struggling connecting to my QNAP NAS via SMB for a while now too (Catalina 10.15). First I switched to afp protocol which seemed to work better, but I hate workarounds instead of solutions. In the end, this seems to have fixed the problem for me: delete the Finder preferences.

Use the Finder menu to go to a folder (Shift Cmd G) and copy this path in: ~/Library/Preferences/

Then locate the file: com.apple.finder.plist and Delete it (move to trashcan).

I always empty my trash too, not sure if that's important here.

SMB is lightning fast now, faster than it's ever been.

Hope this helps!

Gerard

Jan 9, 2020 1:24 PM in response to wolfmax03

Fritz!OS as of yet supports only SMB version 1 which is deprecated and no longer supported on Mac OS Catalina. This applies to the current stable branch of Fritz!OS.

The "Labor"-branch (not yet labelled as stable, but usually quite mature) of Fritz!OS supports SMBv3. So you ought to download the most current "Labor-Version" applicable to your router.

It seems to be the same basic problem with the other posts here: NAS-OSes or 10 year old MacOSes that still offer only SMBv1 and a modern client that out of security concerns refuses to talk this outdated protocol. NAS-vendors will probably roll out updates, too.

BTW, de novo installations of Win10 (not updated ones) also do not support SMBv1 out of the box without tinkering…

Jan 30, 2020 2:27 PM in response to wolfmax03

I have the same issue, my Huawei must be using SMB 1 or 2, but it doesn't have support for SMB3. It seems like Apple has removed support for SMB 1 and 2, I am sick of Apple doing this ****. Do they have any respect for their users, we all can't upgrade just because Apple wants us to. Why would you remove support for old protocols????? I had no issue with connecting until I downgraded to Catalina. F^$K Apple, I'm going back to windows on my next computer.

Catalina SMB problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.