Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina and bootcamp

any one who updated macOS catalina, can i still download windows 10 on my mac using bootcamp or there are some issues?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 1:27 PM

Hi Allen,

I have problem with BootCamp & CATALINA, the process start normally but progress stops at "PARTITIONING DISK". I must stop bootcamp and delete partition created with Disk Utility to start again, but the same problem.

33 replies

Oct 14, 2019 8:17 PM in response to shahad88

Hello shahad88! 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. From your post I see you have some questions about using Boot Camp with Windows 10 on macOS Catalina. This article shows how you can install Windows 10 on macOS Catalina: Get started with Boot Camp on Mac

Have you tried installing Boot Camp with macOS Catalina? If you have, and you're having any issues provide us with details. We'll see how we can help further.

I hope this was helpful. 

Cheers

Oct 19, 2019 6:44 PM in response to CarlAVII

I too am having issues with BootCamp and Catalina on my 2017 iMac. After upgrading from Mojave I tried to use BootCamp to install Windows and it immediately tells me "Boot Camp cannot be installed to a split Fusion drive. In order to install Boot Camp please restore your drives to Fusion." I'm assuming that this was caused by the upgrade to Catalina. I guess I should have done the BootCamp thing first and then upgraded but I would have figured that Apple would have tested BootCamp on Catalina with Fusion drives...... My 2015 Mac Book Pro already had a BootCamp partition and after upgrading it to Catalina it still works but it does not have a Fusion drive.

Oct 23, 2019 8:23 AM in response to shahad88

Had a bit of trouble with partitioning with BootCamp on 2018 MacBook Air with Catalina. The second attempt worked as it should so not sure what the issue was? Windows 10 Home installed fine and then BootCamp installed drivers. Two finger scrolling seems way to sensitive and fast, and I have yet to find a option in Win or BootCamp option to reverse scroll direction. Battery life is typical of BootCamp about half of what Mac OS is. My personal preference in the past was Windows with a VM like Parallels which I think I may go back to that.

Nov 6, 2019 3:06 PM in response to shahad88

Anyone flag up any issues with updating an existing macOS which also has an existing Bootcamp install on the drive. Particularly those with an extra read/write partition for both OSs.

I use Windows for 90% of my work as my battery and performance is much better with the same applications, but I do require MacOS for XCode so need to duel boot.

Bit concerned about the new split partition stuff on the MacOS install as my setup was a pain as it was. Have a late 2015 MBP with SDD in 3 partitions. HFS+ for MacOS (60g) NTFS for Windows (60g) and a Fat32 shared drive with the rest of the space. I can rebuild either/both my Mac or Windows install if required, but would rather not spend the time on it.

Part of me wants to just press the update button, but I don't want to lose my main OS and workspace for the sake of the new XCode lolz.

Nov 20, 2019 9:13 PM in response to shahad88

I have 10.15.1 and still having a problem. I just upgraded to Catalina and my partition part of Windows is either extremely slow or not working at all. I have Windows 10 Pro version 1903. I wonder if I should update Windows? I haven't found a solution yet for this. I contacted Apple about this and passed the buck to Microsoft. They in turn said it's an Apple problem

Nov 21, 2019 11:05 PM in response to Pictureman18

I have a OWC Aura Pro X2 1 GB SSD w Catalina on a Mid 1914 rMBP. Impossible to create a BC w Windows 10, de novo. Period.

OWC says it’s an incompatibility if some sort and they’re working on it. I already had BC on the same computer when I went from 10.14.2 to Catalina 15.1, but w the original Apple Samsung SSD 512. I don’t know if BC could have been established de novo w the Boot Camp Assistant. Too late to find out, now.

Nov 23, 2019 8:29 AM in response to KenV54

I tried to install it twice in our 2016 MPB and first time it stopped while partitioning. Started over and it installed fine but cannot set up windows because it won't see the wifi network. Installed without wifi and it says that windows doesn't have the driver for my network card. Not sure what to do now except start over?

Nov 27, 2019 12:12 PM in response to shahad88

From a fresh Catalina (and up to day) installation I downloaded a windows 10 iso from the web (now only a november edition available). I installed it running boot camp, then after restart finished the windows install without network driver (no WiFi) or Bluetooth. Then in the windows desktop, boot camp tried to finish install. After 40% - 60% it ALWAYS crashed leading to windows blue screen, restarted and any attempt to complete and install the drivers crashed both Catalina and Windows, in and endless restart loop, only leaving the option for internet recovery

Nov 29, 2019 3:08 AM in response to shahad88

Me too, I just buy mini mac 2018 catalina cannot install win10 by bootcamp, the first mac mini cannot install i did return rma and replace with the new one, the second one also cannot install win10.

When i found this problem i did call to apple support discuss and video call to do installation together step by step.

Finally even apple technical officer they do not understand what happen and what is the root cause and how to fix this problem.

Today, I return this mac mini to refund my money back.

Dec 9, 2019 1:29 AM in response to shahad88

I upgraded 2 devices, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air to Catalina with no issues on Bootcamp partition after the upgrade.

But the 3rd MacBook Pro I did was a chilling nightmare, after I upgraded, it restarts and boots up and the Bootcamp partition disappears with very important files on it without separate backup.

I called up Apple support did all troubleshooting step but it didn't find anything to recover the lost bootcamp partition, they said my case was 1 in a million. went to third party recovery support and didn't find the partition, tried again with another recovery company leave the Macbook Pro but still no luck.

It is highly recommended to backup your data before upgrading to Catalina before its too late.

Dec 13, 2019 5:26 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

I have installed Win10 on my MacPro (late 2013) that is running Catalina.

My issue is that I haven't been able to get the wireless card to work... I am having to use a wired connection to get updates, etc. I ran the Apple Software Update and was really hoping that the item regarding wi-fi would resolve my issue, but no such luck.

Tried to run the Windows Support software package and got an error message that it wasn't for this version of Windows (I'm using a Home Edition).

thanks

Dec 13, 2019 8:16 PM in response to busman

I have a 16” MacBook Pro all upgraded options with the i9, 64GB ram and 2TB SSD specifically so that I could have a larger partition for boot camp only to not be able to get Windows 10 1909 installed and from reading it sounds like if I get it installed I won’t have WiFi.

How is this so bad. My job is supporting Macs and Catalina has me reconsidering my career. It’s by far, the furthest from smooth transition I have ever seen in 15 years of using Macs.

i really hope Apple fires the whole dev team and starts with a UX team that manages a Dev team because right now these people are clueless. Sad day.

catalina and bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.