Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina: Finder not refreshing with new items.

So, I've seen this happen a few times now. Items saved from (primarily) Adobe products to locations on the disk, such as the Desktop or Documents folder, among others, do not appear as icons or in the finder windows until I relaunch the Finder (I'm using "killall Finder" in Terminal). They do show up in the Adobe file save/open dialogue boxes, though.

I'm not certain this is an Adobe-related issue, but those are the pieces of software I've been using.

I don't have a terribly congested desktop or file system, but it does interface with a couple network shares. I saw a Mojave-related thread from a little while back which suggested deleting the com.apple.finder PLIST, but that file's not present in any of my libraries.

Any help would be appreciated... Although periodically killing the Finder is somewhat satisfying, not knowing that it should be done until I notice a problem is, well, unsettling!

Other info: iMac 5K, 2017. 64GB RAM, various peripherals (2 external hard drives, network shares, OWC thunderbolt 3 dock, Dell secondary display using TB3/DisplayPort adapter).

Thanks! :D

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 12:39 PM

Similar questions

96 replies

Dec 14, 2019 11:17 AM in response to DanThe

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

Dec 16, 2019 9:49 AM in response to LukasM85

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isoloate issues with your Mac) and set the save location of screenshot there. Then test. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Also use the cleaning feature of Etrecheck to remove those orphaned files under the Cleanup section.

Dec 19, 2019 2:46 PM in response to Sambarbadonat

10.15.2 might have solved it for me... but my workload dropped considerably in the past few weeks, so there've been fewer opportunities for the OS to stall out.

I haven't had any noticeable problems since going through and deleting a couple 32-bit apps which were still in the applications folder, and making sure to go through and delete any resources those 32-bit apps might have used in the past from the Library.

I got curious about all the EtreCheck talk, so I ran an EtreCheck report myself, to see if it was possible to identify anything which stood out.

The only really standout thing is there are still some 32-bit apps in the system, disabled by Catalina, and these are mostly in Adobe products which seem to be trying to hide lazy programming by inserting the 32-bit app in a 64-bit shell. I deleted all the orphans and a few pieces of software which are no longer in use and ran another check. Some of the Adobe apps are there to interface with a 32-/64-bit system, so I'm betting that deleting them all would cause issues.

I'll probably go ahead and uninstall all Adobe files again, walk through the file system and delete anything which stands out as 32-bit, and then reinstall and see what happens.

I'm wondering if a clean install would have prevented this issue. This particular machine was updated from High Sierra to Mojave and then to Catalina, so it had some holdover files in the system which can be crufty.

Attached the report for any curious folks:

Nov 27, 2019 6:31 AM in response to Sambarbadonat

Notable how many replies to this page are no longer showing up. Are they being removed, and if so, why?

New MacBook Pro 16 has this issue. Scenarios I have observed:

• Application development, using npm install to generate libraries for javascript applications, large number of files generated, Finder cannot display them without being restarted.
  • Downloading documents via browsers to downloads folder, one shows up, then additional ones do not without restarting Finder.
  • Copying files via Thunderbolt 3 bridge between Apple laptops. Large number of files, Finder does not display without restart.

So Apple, why are you so hesitant to engage us and confirm that this is a known issue, and is targeted for 10.15.x (10.15.2? presently in beta 3)? We don't bite, but unwillingness to acknowledge and engage the community is going to ultimately bite you over time. People interpret that behavior or leadership attitude as ... arrogance.

Jan 11, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad I am happy that you are not experiencing this and you are very lucky but if you go back and read all the entries, some have had this happened with newly purchased hardware and with clean installs. So I have two questions.

1. Do you believe that everyone who have experienced this issue will report it?
  2. How many users reporting this issue would it take before this would be considered a bug?

Jan 11, 2020 6:07 PM in response to DanThe

Jumping in thread, so that this can be documented. I have the Mac mini (Late 2014).

After updating to Catalina I'm having the following issues:

• Like most, Finder occasionally will not show new items. I then have to either relaunch or reboot.

AND the an even bigger buzz kill...

• My external drives get disconnected after a while WHICH IN TURN causes my backup to see the drives as empty and thus removing the files from the backup.
  • We are talking terabytes worth
  • So when this happens it takes days/weeks to back the items up again

I have had to change the way I work and add extra steps to this process which is SUPER frustrating as those backups are critical to what do (and my sanity).

With the first issue, I would have been cool riding it out until it was fixed SURPRISINGLY... but the second issue had me combing the internet for a fix.

Sad the learn there is not one and even more sad that this particular bug more than likely won't get addressed very soon.

I work for a software company and I understand how prioritization works when it comes to bugs. All in all, this just sucks and I needed to vent.

Nov 27, 2019 9:08 AM in response to WKirkR

There are replies missing? Last I saw, 51 people flagged this as an issue. Not sure how many comments there were.

I'm curious if this has manifested in other ways for users.

I've had two issues come up since getting my 2019 MacBook that also seem like delays. One was with typing, it seemed like there was a stall and I could see all the letters I typed but in the wrong order. See screenshot example.

The other was with dragging music files from Finder to VLC and the playlist duration not updating. It would just hang at whatever duration the first track was an eventually it would correct itself if I deleted tracks. These could be isolated or unrelated incidents but they never happened on older MacBooks and Air's that I've used. This is the first time I've ever bought an Apple product for myself (the others were from jobs) so I'm disappointed to have problems less than a week in.

Nov 6, 2019 2:31 PM in response to Sambarbadonat

I'm still seeing this happen from time to time--and it's getting even more frustrating than ever. Sometimes the Finder even refuses to move items, because it can somehow tell that there's something wrong with the live list. I tried to move a directory consisting of 450+ items today and it told me that the items could not be moved because some of them couldn't be found. Upon relaunching the Finder I found that there were 30 items in that folder which hadn't been added to the running total.

So far I haven't lost anything (that I know of) but if the machine gets shut down when the Finder hasn't loaded a complete list, which list does it operate under when restarted?

What's happening to this formerly reliable file system? Does the OS need to be reinstalled from scratch?

Anyone? Beuller?

Nov 20, 2019 6:45 AM in response to Sambarbadonat

Can anyone offer some guidance on this? I'm having to relaunch the Finder multiple times every day. It's nearly impossible to keep track of files, so I'm having to run multiple backups and cross checks with every operation to make sure I'm not missing something. Yesterday I had to tell a client to delete all of the files I sent them because they were out of sequence because Finder did not recognize that there were 150+ new files in the location I was sending from.

Anyone? Anyone?

Catalina: Finder not refreshing with new items.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.