You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share Playlist not available

In Apple Music I'm supposed to be able to "Click the More button, then Share Playlist." The trouble is when I click the "More" button "Share Playlist" is not present. How do I get my music from Apple Music to my external or usb flash drive?

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 3:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 5:01 PM

I found an easy solution to my problem on Apple's apps store. "Export for iTunes" made it so much easier to transfer music from itunes or Apple Music to my external. It even converts it to mp3 in the process. Very helpful app for people like me.

4 replies

Oct 10, 2019 4:22 PM in response to sperry1975

A few comments...

• Not all playlists are sharable. For example, smart playlists cannot be shared. And playlists that contain non-Apple Music content will exclude the non-Apple Music content when shared. But sharing a playlist does not actually share the songs themselves - only pointers to those songs. Sharing playlists is great if you were an Apple Music subscriber and you had a playlist you wanted to share with another Apple Music subscriber. Sharing a playlist with a non-Apple Music subscriber would not do anything.
  • Sharing playlists is not applicable to moving music from where it is to an external or usb flash drive. Apple Music content cannot be shared that way. If you had content that you ripped, you could download it and then copy it from the Finder

Oct 10, 2019 4:28 PM in response to sperry1975

Well...

If you are an Apple Music subscriber, songs are only playable on devices logged in with your Apple ID. You really cannot download Apple Music songs and play them in a music player - it does not work that way. Songs that you may have purchased or ripped and added to your music library are exceptions to the rule as you technically "own" those and can do with them what you want.

Share Playlist not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.