Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couldnt communicate with a helper application when connecting iPhone

iPhone 11 Pro Max - software fully up to date

MacBook Pro 13 (2018 model) - software fully up to date

When I connect my iPhone to the MacBook, I see the iPhone listed in Finder.

I click on it to enter the phone but simply get a message stating "Couldn't communicate with a helper application".

Ive relaunched Finder.

Restarted the MacBook.

Logged out of iCloud, Restarted, then logged back into iCloud.

Tried different lightning cabled (lightning to USB-C and lightning to USB>Adapter)

Installed the 'MobileDeviceOnDemand.pkg' file downloaded from Apple.

Anyone else have this??

MacBook

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 4:54 PM

I was having the same issue. I have my iTunes folder on a NAS. When I reconnected to the NAS, the issue went away. I'm guessing that there's something in that folder that Finder needed to find. I hope this helps someone.

9 replies

Nov 29, 2019 9:33 AM in response to IftiBashir

I know this seems to have been solved, but I ran into the issue myself this morning and wanted to explain how I fixed it. My main iTunes library is on an external drive, but I don't have it with me right now. I first ran into the issue when I connected the phone through Finder. Once I opened up Music and AppleTV and created new libraries on the local SSD, it corrected itself. I think someone else has it right: While Finder should theoretically work by itself, it seems to be connected still to Music and Movies/TV.

Hope this is useful!

Oct 13, 2019 12:08 PM in response to IftiBashir

I also have this problem not only with my iPhone XS but also with my iPad Pro on my iMac Pro. All software is latest and I have tried the same things mentioned in first post to try and fix it. I also found that I can communicate with the iPad and iPhone after logging into another user account on same computer or my laptop which has been upgraded to Catalina. This indicates that the issue of not being able to communicate to the helper application is specific to my main user account on my iMac and also not an issue with the iPhone or iPad. .

I will continue to work on this to find a solution but can’t fully commit to Catalina until this is resolved. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Oct 13, 2019 12:36 PM in response to bobt777

Yes I have also tried different devices. It seems to be something to do with the user profile.

I spoke to Apple support - didn't get it resolved after an hour and a half on the phone (after which I gave up), but he did mention he has had several calls with regards to the exact same issue. He took down all the details to pass to engineering etc.

In the meantime if I come up with any fix I'll let you know as an update that fixes the issue could be way off, and I don't want to have to have a second account on my system just so I can communicate cate with my iDevices!

Oct 15, 2019 4:40 AM in response to LordBane

Thank you!!

I have my iTunes media folder on an external TB3 drive - connected the drive and opened Music to ensure it was seeing everything OK.

Went back to Finder and everything now working fine and my iPhone shows up correctly (even if I now disconnect my iTunes external drive). 

Maybe it just needed access to a file from my iTunes folder to get going!

Oct 15, 2019 1:50 PM in response to IftiBashir

You’re welcome! Yes paired with the previous comment of the NAS this does appear to be some lingering legacy issue of iTunes formerly handling this duty and finder still needing something from “iTunes” Before it can proceed. Based on the NAS issue it appears that finder always expects the music libraries to be present.

Couldnt communicate with a helper application when connecting iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.