Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

couldnt communicate with a helper application

I have a MacBook Pro 2020 (i5, 13" 4-USBc) and have just installed Big Sur and I think I had the problem before Big Sur but anyway when I connect my iPhone via lightning-USBc (6s plus) IOS 14.2 or iPad Air 3rd gen IOS 14.2 I get the error "Couldn't connect with a helper application." This is after resetting location and privacy and clicking on TRUST etc. If I knew which helper app it was maybe I could fix it... The same thing is true in Music. I was under the impression iPhones would connect via the finder now.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 8:48 AM

I had the same issue with a similar setup. I also tried the steps that others have recommended in the forums to no avail. I managed to fix it yesterday by opening other components that also sync like Podcasts TV. When I opened TV I had to select the library then the error went away on my iPhone and iPad and I was able to sync.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 8:48 AM in response to badrabbit

I had the same issue with a similar setup. I also tried the steps that others have recommended in the forums to no avail. I managed to fix it yesterday by opening other components that also sync like Podcasts TV. When I opened TV I had to select the library then the error went away on my iPhone and iPad and I was able to sync.

couldnt communicate with a helper application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.