Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Safari sync working for anyone in Catalina?

My iOS devices are syncing my Reading List and Bookmarks fine, but my Mac won't, not even on a newly created account. Wondering if it's a general bug or something wrong with my Mac. Is it working for anyone? (Just add/remove a bookmark and see if it syncs, maybe?)

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 10:01 AM

It's not clear which device was the removal/addition done

on and which is not syncing the change.

FWIW, I deleted a bookmark on my iMac and it synced to my iPhone,

then I deleted a bookmark on my iPhone and it synced to the iMac.

iMac-Catalina, iPhone-iOS 13.1.2

Did you make sure Safari is checked in your iCloud settings?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 10:01 AM in response to Uberhamster

It's not clear which device was the removal/addition done

on and which is not syncing the change.

FWIW, I deleted a bookmark on my iMac and it synced to my iPhone,

then I deleted a bookmark on my iPhone and it synced to the iMac.

iMac-Catalina, iPhone-iOS 13.1.2

Did you make sure Safari is checked in your iCloud settings?

Oct 29, 2019 3:47 AM in response to Uberhamster

Do you have the firewall turned on? (System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall) I was having tons of weird networking problems, like Safari bookmarks not syncing, websites not loading, DNS not resolving, and remote filesystems being very slow. Then I noticed in Console under Crash Reports that socketfilterfw kept crashing. When I turned off the Firewall, everything started working. The firewall had not changed since Mojave and still appeared to be configured correctly, but something seems to be wrong with it in Catalina for me.

Nov 1, 2019 2:34 PM in response to Uberhamster

I'm also experiencing Safari bookmarks sync problems after upgrading my MacBook Pro to Catalina and iPhone XS to iOS 13.

The issue is: after doing some editing on my bookmarks (adding, deleting, etc.), the changes simply don't sync to the other device.

I've tried rebooting, turning off the firewall in macOS (possible fix mentioned in several threads), deleting all bookmaks on both devices and recreating the structure from scratch, verified Date & Time settings. Even after doing a clean install of macOS and resetting all content and settings on my iPhone, I still have the same problem. Sometimes it may start working for a while, but it always gets to the point where it simply isn't syncing anymore.

Is Safari sync working for anyone in Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.