Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3 Camera Adapter not able to see USB drive

I just bought an apple USB 3 Camera Adapter and can not get it to read a USB drive. I thought you could do this in IOS 13. Does anyone know how to make this work. As soon as I plugged it in to my iPhone it did an accessory update. The USB drive does not show up in the files app. I am running IOS 13.1.2 on an iPhone 8 Plus 64gb.

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 4:11 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2019 4:38 AM in response to BigMaynard

Ok, so i also bought a USB 3 (lightning) adaptor for an iPad mini 5 and it either gave me a message about not enough power or just did nothing. So i included a powered USB hub between the adapter and the drive and it worked with most drivers. What i didn't know until today is that if you use a higher wattage power supply into the adaptor (12w) it works without the need of the powered hub!

The wattage going into the adaptor makes a difference!

Oct 13, 2019 8:15 AM in response to Lyssa

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is the new adapter with the USB port and power port. I am using the power adapter with it as well. The basic problem is that the phone does not see the USB stick when I plug it into the adapter. Therefore I can not transfer any files to or from the phone. I was wondering if there is something additional that has to be done to make this work. Most of what I have seen on the web is that you just plug it in and it works. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Oct 14, 2019 2:01 PM in response to BigMaynard

Have a look at the wattage of the power you are plugging into the dongle (USB3Lightning). It makes a difference. Try increasing the power (eg. use an iPad charger).

Also, iOS13 doesn't give enough feedback, which also makes it hard to diagnose. I had a number of drives that were suffering from a lack of power, however it didn't give me a message for all of them - yet they all worked after the power was increased (nb. that doesn't mean all drives will work - just mine). Gook luck.

USB 3 Camera Adapter not able to see USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.