Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch asks for Apple ID Password

Recently my watch has been asking for my Apple ID password, which never happened before.

This has been happening when I put the watch back on. I have been clicking Cancel, the message reappears, and I click Cancel again. Then everything works fine -- no functionality is missing.

The Apple ID mentioned is my (only) Apple ID. My watch obviously believes my Apple ID since it can access my photos, and appointments, and can unlock my Macs.

It would be really inconvenient to enter my long, secure, Apple ID password on the watch. At no point previously was I ever asked to enter my password on my watch. This might have started with Watch OS 6.0.1. I also recently restored my iPhone from backup, and re-setup the Apple Watch.

Why is it asking for this now??

Apple Watch Series 4, GPS

Watch OS 6.0.1

P.S. While typing this, I opened the Watch App on my phone, which triggered the watch to ask again for the password. Apparently, it happens every time the Watch App is opened, as well as when I put on the watch.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 8:07 AM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2019 4:27 AM in response to Jamie Cox1

Follow-up: This is still happening repeatedly, but less frequently. I have answered the prompt and entered my password many times now, but it continues to happen. A couple of times, the watch has tapped me on the wrist at 2 AM and brought up this password dialog. (In spite of do-not-disturb being turned on for night time hours.)

It wasn't obvious to me, but if you click password, and then the keyboard icon, it brings up a keyboard on your iPhone to enter the password. That process isn't very transparent, especially if you use a password manager. It's hard to tell if the system actually accepted the password that was entered, or if it simply timed out, or if it just decided to ask for the password a 2nd time, which does happen.

Also, the weird, app-less password dialog that appears on the iPhone doesn't seem to allow pasting. That makes this all the more difficult.

I have questions:

• What is generating these password requests?
  • Are they legitimate??
  • Why are there so many of them, even after the password has been supplied?
  • Why is this happening now after many months of this *never* happening with Apple Watch?

FYI: I am not one of those people with multiple, confusing Apple IDs. I have only ever used ONE Apple ID, and that is the one it is asking for each time.

Oct 23, 2019 10:35 AM in response to Jamie Cox1

@Jamie Cox1:

I've got the same issue as you describe - the request for my Apple ID password pops up at random times on my watch, and it started after I upgraded to Watch OS 6.

There is also a slightly different message on the watch display that says "Sign in to Complete Purchase. Enter the password for your Apple ID 'name@url.com'. "

My main concern is that it says it is to "complete a purchase", but I have no way to check which purchase it refers to. It could be a scam, or an involuntary click to purchase an app or something similar.

I've always denied signing in and haven't noticed any negative consequences so far by negating to sign in.

Anyone having any idea why the Apple Watch is suddenly asking for my Apple ID password?

Watch asks for Apple ID Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.