Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer high CPU usage periods at certain time intervals

Recently started noticing strange periods where the system UI was being choppy for no apparent reason. Looking at the activity monitor I see that WindowServer is sitting at 20-30% CPU usage during these periods. Curiously this happens at 12 hour intervals exactly, at 6 AM and 6 PM, and goes on for about 30 minutes. Then the UI is back to its snappy self for another 12 hours. So clearly something is taxing the GPU by quite a bit in the background to cause the system UI to drop frames.

How can I dig further into the WindowServer process to figure out what is going on with it?

I did not add any new software to the system recently but I do have quite a lot installed as well as various other system tweaks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 8:14 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 18, 2019 6:31 AM in response to 2garinz

Hi 2garinz,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that Activity Monitor shows the process WindowServer consuming unexpected high usage a couple of times each day, and I’d love to help. 

First, disconnect external peripherals other than your mouse and keyboard, then try booting into safe mode to see if the issue happens in your user account: 

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

From there, try logging into a brand new user account, then check whether the issue persists: 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

I hope this helps get you started. Kind regards.

Oct 24, 2019 8:23 AM in response to 2garinz

2garinz,

Thanks for getting back to us with those additional details and for trying those steps.

Since the issue doesn’t happen in safe mode or in a new user account, this likely points to something in your user account. From here, I recommend removing your login items, then testing the usage without them to see if that helps. The steps to do this can be found in the section, “Test your login items” here: 

If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems

From there, check for any app updates, and uninstall any software that you no longer use. If you’re still having trouble, contact Apple Support for further assistance:

Get Support

Have a great rest of your day.

WindowServer high CPU usage periods at certain time intervals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.