Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unitron hearing aids dropping connection to iPhone 11 bluetooth

I have a problem with my Unitron Moxi Jump R hearing aids on my iPhone 11 with IOS 13.1.2. They are Bluetooth hearing aids and *not* "Made for iPhone" hearing aids. I had no problems with my iPhone 6. My audiologist claims it is an iPhone 11 problem; Apple wants me to do a full factory reset which I hesitate to do. I did do a "Reset Network Suggestions" which did wipe out my WiFi and previous Bluetooth settings, but did not solve problem.Any suggestions?

I can pair the hearing aids to the phone. However, when I connect in Settings->Bluetooth the connection lasts for between 10 and 30 seconds and disconnects. When I paired the iPhone 11 to my old MacBook Pro the connection stayed up for many minutes -- although I didn't really have a way to transmit anything between the phone and MacBook to see how good it was.

Surprisingly, when I open the Unitron "Remote Plus" App on my phone, it can connect to my paired hearing aids and the menu works -- for example changing the hearing aid program to "mute" or "car" or back to "automatic" and I can change the volume. So that works the same as the iPhone6.

What doesn't work is getting music or podcasts or audiobooks to play through the hearing aids -- there is no Bluetooth device option for the audio because they have disconnected -- except, once, during one of the longer 30 second connections, I got about 10 seconds of podcast play through the hearing aids before it quit. Have never succeeded doing that again despite several attempts. I have attempted at several locations with more or less electronic noise, but no difference.

I have researched this a bit and my iPhone 6 was using Bluetooth protocol version 4.2, while the iPhone11 is using Bluetooth protocol version 5.0. The hearing aids specs state they are Bluetooth 4.2 Dual-Mode and include some specs that I don't know how to interpret but include here:

Antenna type: Resonant loop antenna

Operation frequency 2.4 GHz – 2.48 GHz

Modulation GFSK, Pi/4 DPSK, GMSK

I have been told that Unitron is communicating with Apple, but I would like to be able to tell them to "hurry up!". Or just find a solution!

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 1:00 PM

Replying to myself....

First a correction above. Tried Setting > General > Reset "Reset Network Settings" not "Suggestions".

Now, good news. I upgraded to IOS 13.1.3. Then I "Reset Network Settings". Then I went to Bluetooth and did "Forget this device" for each device including my hearing aids. Then I turned Bluetooth off. Turned Bluetooth on. Set my hearing aid to pair/announce itself. iPhone Bluetooth found it and paired with it. I connected, it now stays connected, and I can listen to podcasts via my hearing aids.

I had to delete and reinstall the Unitron "Remote Plus" app on the phone and pair the hearing aids again with the app.

After that I rechecked that podcasts can play through the hearing aids and they still can.

I think the problem has been fixed in IOS 13.1.3. I won't report here again unless it breaks again.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 1:00 PM in response to sxbsxb

Replying to myself....

First a correction above. Tried Setting > General > Reset "Reset Network Settings" not "Suggestions".

Now, good news. I upgraded to IOS 13.1.3. Then I "Reset Network Settings". Then I went to Bluetooth and did "Forget this device" for each device including my hearing aids. Then I turned Bluetooth off. Turned Bluetooth on. Set my hearing aid to pair/announce itself. iPhone Bluetooth found it and paired with it. I connected, it now stays connected, and I can listen to podcasts via my hearing aids.

I had to delete and reinstall the Unitron "Remote Plus" app on the phone and pair the hearing aids again with the app.

After that I rechecked that podcasts can play through the hearing aids and they still can.

I think the problem has been fixed in IOS 13.1.3. I won't report here again unless it breaks again.

Unitron hearing aids dropping connection to iPhone 11 bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.