Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft word on MAC OS Catalina

I just tried to install the new MAC OS Catalina on my MacBook Air. I have an older version of MS Office. The system warned me that if I install Catalina, MS Word (older version) will no longer work. Of course, this version of MS Office is too old to update. I don't want to buy new MS software just because I updated my OS. That would be rather stupid and wasteful, right?

I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue. If you went across the blackline and installed Catalina despite the warning, I would like to know what happened to your MS word app (old version). Did it continue to work afterwards? Maybe Apple should consider adjusting this new OS so older apps (especially MS word for MAC) continue to function??

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 11:22 AM

150 replies

Dec 28, 2019 6:03 PM in response to srad750c

srad750c wrote:

At least you got warned, I updated the iOS on my mom's iMac and now her $400 MS Office doesn't work cause it's not 64 bit, Apple you dropped the ball on this one. And by the way you can't revert to older software. So now, she has $2000 computer that's useless to her and I'm salty cause it was a gift I gave 3 years ago, bragging this was her last computer. More and more looks like I'm going to have to pull away from Apple.

iOS does not run on a Mac computer. You were warned for over a year before Catalina was released. What version of Office is $400? Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

Best of luck with your new Windows PC.

Jan 23, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Ronasara

Ronasara wrote:

Thank you for the notification Peter. However, it would be helpful if such rules were posted where they could be easily read. I have looked and looked and am unable to actually see such a rule anywhere, so how was I to have known that? I wish to be compliant and will be, but I suggest that this 'notification' might have been better done and then having my post removed the way it was done. This has been perceived as a bit of a put-down by me. If I am overreacting, then please accept my apology.

If you're referring to Peter's statement that the forum members don't recommend cleaners, that's not a rule. What he means is that most of us think they cause more problems than they pretend to solve so we recommend against them. You can certainly recommend them if you think differently. Be warned, however, that you will get a bunch of replies from people who think it's a bad idea.

If you want to know what the rules of these forums are, see here:

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community

Dec 13, 2019 3:12 AM in response to serowe5

Several things will slow Office down

• Background process activity while Catalina reprocesses your media.
  • Having third party security and helper apps installed.
  • less than 8GB RAM
  • Retaining a mechanical hard drive rather than upgrading to SSD which Catalina seems optimised for.

The first will correct itself, the rest are under your control.

Dec 22, 2019 10:21 AM in response to RB8828

I would like to offer several important points for you and any of our other viewers concerning the ‘problems’ with Microsoft Office after an OS upgrade to Catalina..

·      First, Apple has regularly informed all of us for a couple of years that at some point our old 32 bit programs would no longer work with a future OS upgrade. That has finally occurred as we have been told it would.

·      Any other old 32 bit programs you have installed will also be affected. They will no longer work.

·      As noted, if a person wishes not to upgrade their Microsoft Office, there are several good alternatives. They are, as noted, the free LibreOffice and OpenOffice apps. Additionally, your Apple OS provides three free programs which you may use as an alternative to Office, Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

·      Any of these apps can and will open your Office documents. You may also create new documents and save them as Word files, etc. when you need to share files with other people who only have Office installed.

·      Using any of these programs does involve a learning curve as they work a bit differently, but all of them are fine programs.

If you have Microsoft Office for Mac 2016 or later, it can be upgraded at no cost. If it is an earlier version, it cannot.

·      If you decide to upgrade Office, you have options. You may elect to subscribe to any of the following:

• Office 365 Home:         $99.99 per year or $9.99 monthly. This allows you to install Office in up to six devices. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Personal:           $69.99 per year or $6.99 monthly. This is for installation on one device only. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Home & Student:        $149.99 one-time purchase cost. This is a purchaseis for installation on one device only and is not renewed. It does not expire.
    • The second and third options include fewer additional apps such as Outlook. Check the Microsoft site for details.

·       I strongly recommend that if you elect to do the upgrade, you first completely remove your Old Office app and its associated bits and pieces which will be spread through several other folders. This can be done effectively with the free program AppCleaner.app. It is easy to use and doing so will avoid creating any conflicts. After this is done, then you may download the replacement Microsoft Office files.

·       Finally, and this is important, when purchasing any of these Office upgrades, you need to register your purchase on the Microsoft web site, including which device or devices the apps are installed on. This can be changed later if a device is replaced. You must do this registration or you can have problems.

In summary, Apple has warned us of the change to 64 bit operations only. It has occurred. Now, it is up to us to decide how to respond.

Lastly, some people keep suggesting that Apple benefits from these app upgrades. It is nice to rant, but Apple does not in any benefit from an Office upgrade. That should be clear and easy to understand.

Jan 8, 2020 3:24 PM in response to Kurt Lang

As noted on the forum, many people have experienced the same issue. If you have a 32 bit Word app installed it can be upgraded for free if it is version 16 or later. If it is not, your Word app will not function, nor will any of your other 32 bit apps. Apple is not going to make the changes to allow them to work. The industry has moved on to 4 bit functions. I would like to offer several important points for you and any of our other viewers concerning the ‘problems’ with Microsoft Office after an OS upgrade to Catalina. To summarize:

·     First, Apple has regularly informed all of us for a couple of years that at some point our old 32 bit programs would no longer work with a future OS upgrade. That has finally occurred as we have been told it would. This appears to be the case with you. The message announcements were received when an older 32 bit program was opened.

·      Any other old 32 bit programs you have installed will also be affected. They also will no longer work.

·      As noted, if a person wishes not to upgrade their Microsoft Office, there are several good alternatives. They are the free LibreOffice and OpenOffice apps. Additionally, your Apple OS provides three free programs which you may use as an alternative to Office, Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

·      Any of these apps can and will open your Office documents. You may also create new documents and save them as Word files, etc. when you need to share files with other people who only have Office installed.

·      You should be aware that using these other apps to open Word documents will result in formatting changes.

·      Using any of these programs does involve a learning curve as they work a bit differently, but all of them are fine programs.

If you have Microsoft Office for Mac 2016 or later, it can be upgraded at no cost. If it is an earlier version, it cannot.

·      If you decide to upgrade an older version of Office, you have options. You may elect to subscribe to any of the following:

• Office 365 Home:         $99.99 per year or $9.99 monthly. This allows you to install Office in up to six devices. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Personal:           $69.99 per year or $6.99 monthly. This is for installation on one device only. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Home & Student:        $149.99 one-time purchase cost. This is a purchasefor installation on one device only and is not renewed or have a monthly fee. It does not expire.
    • The second and third options include fewer additional apps such as having no Outlook email app. Check the Microsoft site for details.

·       I strongly recommend that if you elect to do the Office upgrade, you first completely remove your Old Office app and its associated bits and pieces which will be spread through several other folders. This can be done effectively with the free program AppCleaner.app. It is easy to use and doing so will avoid creating any potential conflicts. After this is done, then you may download the replacement Microsoft Office files safely.

·       Finally, and this is important, when purchasing any of these Office upgrades, you need to register your purchase on the Microsoft web site, including which device or devices the apps are installed on. This can be changed later if a device is replaced. You must do this registration or you can have problems.

In summary, Apple has warned us of the change to 64 bit operations only. It has occurred. Now, it is up to us to decide how to respond. If you elect not spend the money to upgrade Office, the suggested alternatives will work for you, and they are free.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Dec 29, 2019 11:22 AM in response to srad750c

Again don't blame Apple for you not doing your due diligence. For over 6 months Word and Office users would get this warning frequently:

Apple can't be blamed if one chose to ignore it or not read it.

Get LibreOffice and have your mom try that. It will open, edit and save Office documents in either its own format or Office format. That's what I use now that I'm on Catalina. It's free.

Oct 13, 2019 11:29 AM in response to VaraZGVZ

No, old versions of Word will not run in Catalina.

You have several options, purchase new Word, use Pages instead, or use the free LibreOffice Suite:

https://www.libreoffice.org

I'm sure Apple isn't going to be adjusting anything. They've been warning developers to upgrade to 64-bit for years. It's up to the developers to offer their upgrades as free or paid.

Oct 13, 2019 11:30 AM in response to VaraZGVZ

Microsoft only supports Office 365 subscriptions, or the single-purchase, Office 2019 for Mac on Catalina because these suites are 64-bit. Office 2011 was never tested on even High Sierra and was retired in Oct 2017. Office 2008 was retired several years earlier.

If you are not prepared to use (and learn) the free LibreOffice which is a 64-bit MS Office clone, then you will have to spend some money on something. Apple's free Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are not Microsoft clones and will not open your Microsoft documents in their native document format, nor export back to Microsoft document formats with original document accuracy.

There are plenty of alternative word processing applications on the market that cost money, and import Word documents. If you are sharing documents with others that are going to open these documents in MS Office applications, you are far safer sending them documents that originated, or were edited in MS Office (or LibreOffice).

Oct 14, 2019 12:05 PM in response to VaraZGVZ

Thanks for the upfront responses. To be honest, the only thing I see with these updates are bug fixes. Nothing awesome.

I have tried LibreOffice and when I was going back and forth between Libre and Word, things didn't match. There seems to be compatibility issues. Well, that's life...time to waste money on MS office,again. Once again thanks for the info

Nov 5, 2019 4:19 PM in response to VaraZGVZ

I did and for sure MS office will not work...so I guess I will waste a few hundred bucks...not. I am ready to dump apple and MS into the trash so tired of the BS they do with updates that cost $1000's of dollars because of either 32 bit or 64 bit programs with no option.

Nothing like intentionally screwing your customers...oh yea Apple does it with everything...

Microsoft word on MAC OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.