Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Videos in Catalina

The media kind "Music Video" appears to have disappeared in Catalina for music videos purchased outside of the iTunes store. After upgrading and migrating my music library to the new Music app, all my music videos appear in the library in the category "Music Videos", however when I select a music video that was purchased outside of the iTunes store and select Get Info and then select Options the Media Kind shows as "Movie". "Music Videos" no longer appears in the list of media available, except for this music video files that were purchased in the iTunes store. In itself this does not represent too much of an issue, except when I come to import a new music video into my library that I purchase outside of the iTunes Store. The music video file (m4v or mp4) will not import to the Music app, only to the TV app. Does this mean the only music videos that can be added to a music library in the Music app are ones that are purchased from iTunes store? I can add these purchases to the TV app as a Movie, and then as a playlist that I could call "Music Videos" I suppose. Is anyone else dealing with this problem?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 5:04 PM

I'm seeing this as well and may have an answer, though I am still experimenting myself. It seems that Music only allows the "Music Video" option on m4v files. After the update to Catalina, all of my music videos that were in mpg or mp4 format are now labeled as "Movie", though they all still show up under my Music Videos tab and play fine. Since Apple wants us to use TV for mp4's, they may be trying to move away from that format in Music. Hopefully it will be fixed with a later update. If not, we'll need to convert all our music videos to m4v format so that Music can/will recognize them with the "Music Video" tag.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2019 5:04 PM in response to Red Rackham

I'm seeing this as well and may have an answer, though I am still experimenting myself. It seems that Music only allows the "Music Video" option on m4v files. After the update to Catalina, all of my music videos that were in mpg or mp4 format are now labeled as "Movie", though they all still show up under my Music Videos tab and play fine. Since Apple wants us to use TV for mp4's, they may be trying to move away from that format in Music. Hopefully it will be fixed with a later update. If not, we'll need to convert all our music videos to m4v format so that Music can/will recognize them with the "Music Video" tag.

Oct 17, 2019 5:22 PM in response to glazball

Thanks Glazball. You could be right about the mp4 and m4v files. Word of warning. As of this morning all my music video files that were appearing in Music Videos category as Movie media kind have completely disappeared. When I go to play or select Get Info I only get the option to locate the file. They have disappeared completely. If you don’t already have a completely separate backup of all your music video files suggest you create one now. I have an older backup with about 70% of the files and the rest I have to start from scratch.

Oct 18, 2019 6:16 AM in response to Red Rackham

Are your files themselves actually gone/deleted? Because I did see something similar - music videos disappearing in Music playlists, but not the files themselves (in Finder).

The first 2 videos in my Music Videos list are mp4 by the band A-ha. When I used Get Info on the first one (Take On Me), it showed the tag as “Movie” like we mentioned above (all of my videos were tagged “Music Video” before the Catalina update). When I clicked OK, without changing anything, it “re-saved” it as Movie. That caused it to drop from my playlist, and now I only show 1 video by A-ha (the other one that I haven't touched).

Trying to add Take On Me back into my library doesn’t work, because Music thinks it's a Movie and won't take it. And of course, there's no option now to change it BACK to Music Video. Apple needs to correct this.

The only other option I can see is to convert them to m4v, but I couldn't find an app to do that (I only saw some online converters with a quick search, but I don't want to trust and/or rely on those). Neither VLC nor Handbrake seem to be able to convert to m4v either. Any suggestions?

Oct 19, 2019 5:56 PM in response to glazball

Update: Today I downloaded a paid app Mobikin which enabled me to transfer all my music video files from my iPhone to my iMac (Lucky I had just sync'd my iPhone before all my files disappeared). These files were a mix of mp4 and m4v files. Then with Music app open and the Music Video playlist open showing the ! next to the missing videos, I am copying each file I transferred to my iMac into the album folder in the Music library storage folder under the relevant artist. Then I select Get Info or Play on the music video that had the ! and the music video opens. Like you experienced all the m4v files show as Music Video (no problem) and mp4 music videos show as Movie, then I select Ok on the latter and the music video disappears from my playlist. I open up the Movie folder in the Music media storage folder and I see the music video file there.

Now the interesting thing. If I re-copy that same mp4 file back into the album folder for the artist under "Music" folder, and then select Import in the Music app, the same mp4 file appears back in the Music Video list as a Music Video - it has actually changed the media kind to Music Video!

Weird! Anyway, I just started the "B's so I have a long way to go. Cheers!

Nov 12, 2019 2:55 PM in response to Red Rackham

I was worried about this issue before update to Catalina. I use Music Videos for work, spent an hour with support including supervisors yesterday and they said the only thing I could do was to fill out their "feature request form" to ask that the drop down menu in TV app would still have "music video" as an option.

Turns out, after some experimenting...I, along with many, am making this super difficult when apple made it super easy. Any video that I drag into "music" app on Mac (even mp4) is automatically copied to library and labeled "music video". the only issue or mistakes come when first the video is somehow in TV app which will make it a movie or home video. My existing library is syncing and updated just fine, and all new videos I drag to music are properly categorized...just don't double click a downloaded "music video" to open it before placing in MUSIC app or it may go to the TV app as a movie rather than opening in QuickTime, depending on your settings. I hope this helps. Just drag and drop :)

side note for those using converters...for some time, the codec with iskysoft media converter has cause an issue with iTunes, so if things are not importing it may be that converter, if I take the same file and encode in Adobe Media Converter, it is instantly recognized by iTunes now Music app.

Dec 15, 2019 12:21 AM in response to tpromix

I have a very large library of various media and had things beautifully organized under iTunes. I made the huge mistake of trusting Tim Cook's Apple and upgraded to Catalina and now all my media is a disaster.

As has been discussed here, my large collection of music videos are now split between the Music and TV apps, depending on file extension. This discussion includes a desire to use a converter to make mp4 music videos m4v. I did some research online and on HandBrake's web site the two filetypes are discussed and said they're both the same, the only difference being m4v files being able to include DRM. They say one only need change the file's extension and all will work perfectly. I tried it on a couple of videos and it indeed works. No need to waste money on an app to accomplish the deed. If you have a list of multiple files to convert you can merely control-click the highlighted list and in the resulting contextual menu select Rename "X" Items. Have it search for mp4 and replace the term with m4v. Presto!

Dec 18, 2019 2:21 PM in response to Red Rackham

If you have mp4 files you made yourself - using Wondershare, Adobe Rush, or iMovie... And you're on Catalina with an iPad Pro, you're completely out of luck.

You can import them into music, and rename the extension to m4v, and they do sync to the iPad. They show up in Finder as a check box with no info. Once they get on the iPad they simply vanish in the music app. At the bottom of the library under the ? icon, nothing. But they are there, wasting space.

The only way to get rid of these file is to un-sync which, of course removes everything.

They aren't in the TV app either. I have a $1200 device that won't allow me to view my own content. Absurd!

Dec 18, 2019 2:47 PM in response to MooseMiester

Yet more issues. Every day, I discover ever more frustrations with Catalina. Earlier this week I wanted to manually put selected music on a new iPhone 11. What a fiasco and unintuitive. I tried it similarly as I have for years, merely dragging files to the iPhone. The files got there but much of the metadata vanished, for instance, the album cover art, and took forever to transfer just one album. After reading the new required process, I was annoyed at how onerous it now is. I have to now drill down a lengthy list and check off selections then click Sync. What a waste!

Macs built a reputation for being intuitive and having multiple ways to accomplish a task. No more. Tasks are getting increasingly complicated and time consuming. This platform is quickly losing that edge.

At least Steve J. openly owned up to issues and made strides to correct them. We're now in an era of those responsible covering their tracks and trying to convince us everything is wonderful. Sad.

I'm now stuck with a huge media library that's completely screwed up and will take forever to fix. I spent years building that library for nothing. Thanks Cupertino.

Dec 30, 2019 7:01 PM in response to Red Rackham

I've got sort of the opposite issue. I have an M4V video which is a movie, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to import it to "TV & Movies". Every time I try and import it, (M4V, MP4, MOV), it is imported into "Music Videos". Anyone know what I'm missing?

The video was converted using the latest version of Handbrake, and I'm running Catalina 10.15.2.

Thanks!

Music Videos in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.