Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina TextInputMenuAgent and Disnoted

After upgrading to Catalina macOS, I noticed a problem. The processes TextInputMenuAgent and disnoted starts to take like 90% of CPU and TextInputMenuAgent is not responding. Then, the mac starts to heat really fast and fans spin like crazy with only 1.4% CPU left idle. This issue happened at least twice today.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 2:04 AM

Similar questions

38 replies

Dec 20, 2019 7:37 AM in response to BambooOnFire

I didn't upgrade because I have heard that Catalina is very very unstable.

MacOS remind me to upgrade every day, and now It's OVER TWO MONTHS after the release of Catalina. so I upgrade to 10.15.2 from mojave today.

Now I meet this issue too.

I have searched Chinese forums, many people meet this issue too.

https://www.baidu.com/s?ie=utf-8&f=8&rsv_bp=1&rsv_idx=1&tn=baidu&wd=Catalina%20textinputmenuagent&oq=macos%2520textinputmenuagent&rsv_pq=e34c3365000b7eb6&rsv_t=1222PKncWG1MbwVWHrO22H56pvGwNd6mGrXpZC9giuah1iipVk4qHN%2BgOiU&rqlang=cn&rsv_dl=tb&rsv_enter=1&inputT=307&rsv_sug3=15&rsv_sug2=0&rsv_sug4=486

Now the CPU fan is 90%+, the power is down quickly, the CPU fan is loud.

Please don't release unstable software. The trust of macOS / Apple software is being destroyed.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Thanks,

Oct 18, 2019 10:15 AM in response to andreheijstek

Oh well... CleanMyMac claims another victim 😢

This hideous program keeps wreaking havoc on unsuspecting users' macs...

There are also other possible issues, but first of all thoroughly uninstall this ****.

Make sure to have a good backup of your system drive.

Even uninstalling does not mean things will be ok, because it may already have deleted or modified files and thus damage your system.

Also, the version of VirtualBox is old and needs to be updated.

Nov 13, 2019 3:18 AM in response to BambooOnFire

Having this problem too. I might have some clue to reproduce it.

I'm using an MBP18 with Touch Bar with a Chinese(QWER) keyboard layout. And I use a customized French keyboard cover to relabel the keys as if they were in an AZER keyboard. This approach works properly after setting the primary input source to Français and delete the ABC input source. I can use Chinese Pinyin input with AZER layout. But if I add another input source, like the original ABC, it confuses a lot. With another input source depending on QWER layout(like Russian(Phonetic), though I don't quite understand why Pinyin works fine with virtual AZER layout but Russian doesn't), the problem of TextInputMenuAgent occurs far more often. I might encounter once or twice per day now but multiple times per hour when ABC and Russian are enabled. The problem started after upgrading to 10.15. 10.15.1 doesn't help.

I can't disable the display of input method in menu bar because I'm constantly switching between multiple languages. By the way I have also enabled a display of input method in Touch Bar but it almost always shows wrong information.

I guess there is quite much work for Apple engineers to do to fully settle all the problems with input sources.

Dec 2, 2019 6:04 AM in response to BambooOnFire

Same problem. Nothing helps... Without flag icon in tray it much better, but still not too good. second big update of MacOS and again problems with few languages input. I disappointed by Apple. Especially if you just bought new MacBook Pro...

Any ideas how to fix this or how to make Apple fix it ASAP? Couldn’t work at all(

Dec 2, 2019 7:30 PM in response to Heicrow

I'd suggest you quit all inessential applications before letting the computer sleep in order to avoid impossibility to login and a forced restart when open the computer next time. I have observed higher frequency of this problem when WeChat is running, also I can relate one occurrence of such with VSCode. This will not solve the problem but can reduce the loss when it happens at login time. I have filed bug reports to apple but nothing has happened since. This problem is hard to reproduce and among the most difficult software bugs. If it has rendered your Mac unusable, it might be helpful to bootcamp windows. Or if you have any means to roll back to Mojave...

Dec 24, 2019 3:19 AM in response to BambooOnFire

I had similar problem, and went through a very hard time. I have disabled the multiple languages input, still and with disnoted issue comes, hard reboot and comes with no pattern traced. I make a clean macOS Catalina installation with delete partition, download from web the latest version, etc. While installing it, the fan span crazy and all seems very slow, which I noticed the language input icon was there and gave me PKDownloadError error 8, every trial. under recovery, I even had to make a hard reboot! I also could not restored back the original macOS that comes with my MacBook Air, which was Mojave. Luckily, I had another MacBook, which I had to make a bootable USB with Mojave, then put in fresh boot and installation from the USB. After install Mojave clean, I then go for Catalina. Then only other applications. Till date, so far so good, none of these two happened. more than three weeks already. Hope my horror experience helps.

Dec 29, 2019 12:46 PM in response to BambooOnFire

Interesting problem. In my case it appeared after activating the Chinese language handwriting mode for the Touch Bar. I wanted to use it for writing japanese Kanjis and it was the third language I had activated besides German and Japanese. After I deactivated the handwriting mode and only used the keyboard modes of German and Japanese, the problem didn't appear again.

Jan 3, 2020 8:24 PM in response to BambooOnFire

Good Evening,

I too have a Macbook Pro and have currently run Catalina.

I also had the same problems that you stated in your question.

I fixed this problem by going into activity monitor, clicking on "CPU", double clicked "TextInputMenuAgent" and "Disnoted" and force quitted both. The problems with the crazy fast and loud fans, excessive heat, and the battery dropping faster than usual very quickly resolved themselves, and now the computer works perfectly as a computer of this price should work :-)

I hope this helped.

Thanks

Catalina TextInputMenuAgent and Disnoted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.